[comp.sys.apple] Monitor trouble

PGOETZ@LOYVAX.BITNET (03/30/88)

Dan Vachon: Yes, the law (though I don't know its name or number - maybe the
  latest copyright act) says that if you sell a program, you must destroy all
  copies which remain in your possession.  Many people don't, but it is illegal.

Viruses: I remember around 1981 I discovered a virus on a disk of mine. I have
  no idea where it came from. All it did was append itself to DOS. As far as
  I know it wasn't harmful except it took memory. So Apple viruses are nothing
  new. (I would try to find it & explain it, but my monitor just melted.)

Aforementioned monitor: I was happily hacking away (note to any business-types
  out there - HACKING implies programming. PHREAKING is abusing phone
  lines.  CRACKING means trying to break into a system or program.  PIRATING
  is illegal copying.  TRASHING implies destructive activities (or searching
  garbage for useful information). All 5 are SEPARATE. Just a sore
  point with me.) when my monitor emitted a loud whining
  sound for about a minute, during which the air seemed filled with static
  electricity.  Then there was an audible "poof", the screen went blank, and a
  smell of burnt rubber or something came out of the monitor.  Now when I flip
  the on switch, nothing happens - no whine (which it normally makes), nothing.
  Any ideas what has broken? (ie a capacitor vs. the tube itself vs. the
  transformer) The monitor runs on 15,000 volts.

Phil Goetz
PGOETZ@LOYVAX.bitnet

herczyns@spot.Colorado.EDU (HERCZYNSKI ANDRZEJ) (03/31/88)

In article <8803291555.aa21618@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> PGOETZ@LOYVAX.BITNET writes:

> [My monitor ate itself, any idea why?]
>

>Phil Goetz
>PGOETZ@LOYVAX.bitnet

What brand of monitor are you using?  I have SAMMS Notes for most of the more
common brands.

On a different note-- I am in need of a terminal program which is capable of
VT-100 emulation.  I am using an Aplle ][+ with a Franklin 80 col card,
and an Apple Personal Modem (3/12) via the Novation Apple Cat 202 card's
external port.  So far, the only program that I have found that will support
the Apple Cat's external port is Ascii Express.  Unfortunately, AE is
woefully unable to emulate any terminal capable of direct cursor addressing.

Any suggestions?  E-mail, or follow-up here.  I read my mail (if it gets to
me) daily, and try to read this newsgroup as frequently.

Thanx so much.

herczyns@spot.Colorado.EDU.UUCP (I think.  Try it and tell me if it works)