[comp.sys.apple] hooking up Apple modem to IBM serial port

emp@ut-emx.UUCP (naDev~tlhIngan~putulu) (03/22/88)

...like the title says: I've got this Apple 300/1200 baud modem (the kind that
fits under the telephone), and I'd love to hook it up to my IBM (std. Turbo 10)
so I can run a second modem. What I need to know is if anyone has come across
either a place that sells the proper cable, or if someoen else has adapted the
modem to fit the serial port themselves, and can supply the proper pinouts.

...he, I got the damn thing in a hardware swap, so I guess I'd better find a
use for it..

							OM

cc@xroads.UUCP (Dan McGuirk) (03/28/88)

In article <1299@ut-emx.UUCP>, emp@ut-emx.UUCP (naDev~tlhIngan~putulu) writes:
> ...he, I got the  wonderful thing in a hardware swap, so I guess I'd better find a
> use for it..

What, the Apple modem or the IBM?  :-)

Dan
--
\  /  C r o s s r o a d s  C o m m u n i c a t i o n s
 \/   (602) 971-2240

B3140002@BCIT.BITNET (03/31/88)

It should be a standard RS-232 connector cable.   You should be able to get one
from just about any computer/electronics store.

If you are still having problems let me know and I will try and dig up the pin
out diagrams I have for a RS-232 connector.

>...like the title says: I've got this Apple 300/1200 baud modem (the kind that
>fits under the telephone), and I'd love to hook it up to my IBM (std. Turbo 10
)
>so I can run a second modem. What I need to know is if anyone has come across
>either a place that sells the proper cable, or if someoen else has adapted the
>modem to fit the serial port themselves, and can supply the proper pinouts.
>

>...he, I got the damn thing in a hardware swap, so I guess I'd better find a
>use for it..
>

>                            OM

Sean Barry
BITNET   :  <B3140002@BCIT>
NetNorth :  B3140002/BCIT/NetNorh,"",CA    <--- I am not sure that will work
                                                I am fairly new to the network
                                                since BCIT has just recently
                                                allowed it's student's
                                                to use the network.

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (04/01/88)

I think the solution isn't correct. The Apple Modem 1200 (the model that doesn't
plug directly into the wall, and is designed to fit under a "standard" desk
telephone) doesn't have, I believe, a standard RS232c connector. I think you'll
need one that's designed for the modems jack, and for RS232C at the other end.

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca    |
  |  INTERNET:halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  BITNET:D57J@CORNELLA  D57J@CRNLVAX5|
  |  UUCP:{vax135,rochester,decvax}!cornell!batcomputer!halp                  |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601      |