[comp.sys.apple] Help - AppleWorks and French

rsl@ecsvax.UUCP (Roberta Little) (03/29/88)

Has anyone used AppleWorks on a //gs with French?  How can you get the
ImageWriter II to print circumflex and dieresis over the letters?  Does
it require some type of imbedded code in the document?

If it can't be done, can anyone recommend a good word processor that will
be able to print the special characters?

Roberta S. Little (rsl@ecsvax.uucp)

--

Roberta Sloan Little  (rsl@ecsvax)
Curriculum Software Consultant                  triangle area - 549-0671

buyse@convex.UUCP (03/30/88)

I think that you will need a printer that can print those special French
characters.  If you have one already, you might be able to define the
underline as a special printer command sequence to change into and out of
foreign-language character sets.

You can then put inside the text of your Appleworks document the
'underline begin' character, followed by the character that matches the
ascii value of the foreign language character that you wish to print,
followed by the 'unerline end' character.

It depends completely on your printer setup, I believe.

-Russell Buyse.

UUCP: {allegra,ihnp4,uiucdcs,ctvax}!convex!buyse

jetzer@studsys.mu.edu (jetzer) (03/30/88)

In article <4818@ecsvax.UUCP>, rsl@ecsvax.UUCP (Roberta Little) writes:

> Has anyone used AppleWorks on a //gs with French?  How can you get the
> ImageWriter II to print circumflex and dieresis over the letters?  Does
> it require some type of imbedded code in the document?
>
> If it can't be done, can anyone recommend a good word processor that will
> be able to print the special characters?

I assume you already know how to get the French chars on the screen, so I won't
go into that.

There are two ways to get the IWriter // to print the French characters.

1.  Set the DIP Switches.  To do this, turn the printer off and set switches
    1-1, 1-2, and 1-3 to open, closed, closed, respectively.  Turn the printer
    back on.  The printer will now print the French character set.

2.  Set a printer control string with the software.  Using AppleWorks, set
    the 'interface card' (in the main menu/other activities/printer info menu)
    to include ESC Z CTRL-A CTRL-@ ESC D CTRL-F CTRL-@
    (Don't include the spaces; they're there only for clarity).  This tells
    the IWriter to print the French char set.

Now then, the French character set is as follows:

English        French equiv.
Char
-------        -------------
  #            English pound sign ('L' w/ line through it)
  $            $
  @            lowercase 'a' with a '`' over it
  [            what appears to be a degree sign (raised circle)
  \            lowercase 'c' with a 'tail'
  ]            what looks like a capital 'S' with a circle in the middle
  ^            ^
  `            `
  {            lower case 'e' with a backwards '`' over it
  |            lower case 'u' with a '`' over it
  }            lower case 'e' with  '`' over it
  ~            what looks like a set of umlauts (sideways ':')

You'll have to forgive me; I don't know French.  All I have in front of me
is the reference manual for the IWriter I (I know for a fact that the above
info is correct, because I have an IWriter // and use the German char set
a lot).

I assume that these character substitutions are the same as the keyboard.
I recall setting the GS control panel (I use a GS at my summer job) to
German once just for the heck of it, and the correct substitutions were made.

If you are using AppleWorks 2.0, you will have trouble entering the control
codes.  There's a bug in it that prevents it from accepting the Ctrl-@ key
stroke.  There is a patch to get around this, but I don't have this handy.
Send me e-mail if you need it.  (You could write a basic program to do
this before you boot AWorks, if you like.)
--
__
Mike Jetzer

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (04/01/88)

All the Timeout utilities provide the patch to fix the Ctrl-@ bug. I think
Randy Brandt's PathFinder disk (excellent) and PatchMania (buggy) disks do
also.

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca    |
  |  INTERNET:halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  BITNET:D57J@CORNELLA  D57J@CRNLVAX5|
  |  UUCP:{vax135,rochester,decvax}!cornell!batcomputer!halp                  |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601      |