[comp.sys.apple] Viruses and ProSEL

dowst@VLSI.JPL.NASA.GOV ("Henry P. Dowst") (03/26/88)

With respect to the comments on viruses and ProSel, note that the author,
Glen Bredon, uploads updates to ProSel to GEnie and CompuServe on a reg-
ular basis.  However, these uploads are intended for registered owners
only and are encrypted.  If you try to run one of these programs without
decrypting them, very strange things may happen!  This is not a virus,
but rather a legitimate method of providing updates to proprietary
software on a rapid basis.  The best solution is to become a legitimate
owner of ProSel and learn how to decrypt the files that Mr. Bredon has
kindly provided.

Henry Dowst

GEnie: DOWST

whitney@think.COM (David Whitney) (04/01/88)

In article <880325085321.f4c@VLSI.JPL.NASA.GOV> dowst@VLSI.JPL.NASA.GOV ("Henry P. Dowst") writes:

>Glen Bredon uploads updates to ProSel to GEnie and CompuServe on a reg-
>ular basis.

I am a registered owner of Prosel, and I haven't received any updates/notices.
Is there any chance of Glen posting his encrypted files to Apple2-l so those
of use who are not on Genie, etc can get these updates? (also, some directions
for de-crypting his files?)

David Whitney, MIT '90                     Still learning about my Apple //GS
{the known universe}!ihnp4!think!whitney   and all of its secrets. Any and all
whitney@think.com                          technical info appreciated.
DISCLAIMER: If they only knew what I was doing and saying here...

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (04/03/88)

The current version of Glen E. Bredon's Prosel (PROgram SELector) is v3.3,
I believe. Registered owners can receive an upgrade by writing to Dr. Bredon
(see last page of your Prosel manual for address). It is friendly, at least,
to send him two disks, since you will be getting two disks from him.

Those who are not registered owners, and wish to become so, should write to
Dr. Bredon at 521 State Road, Princeton NJ 08540, enclosing $40.00. Outside
of north america, there is an addition $5 charge for postage and handling).

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca    |
  |  INTERNET:halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  BITNET:D57J@CORNELLA  D57J@CRNLVAX5|
  |  UUCP:{vax135,rochester,decvax}!cornell!batcomputer!halp                  |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601      |