[comp.sys.apple] ASCII Express Still Around?

rupp@cod.NOSC.MIL (William L. Rupp) (03/12/88)

-----------
Is ASCII Express still on the market?  If so, I would appreciate
someone's telling me who is currently supporting that product and where
they may be reached.

Thank you.

Bill
rupp@nosc.mil

unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (60164000) (03/13/88)

In article <1028@cod.NOSC.MIL> rupp@cod.NOSC.MIL (William L. Rupp) writes:
>-----------
>Is ASCII Express still on the market?  If so, I would appreciate
>someone's telling me who is currently supporting that product and where
>they may be reached.

I don't know if Ascii Express THE PROFESSIONAL is still on the market, but
United Software Industries, Inc. is making "Ascii Express MouseTalk," which
is the "next generation AE," I guess. It requires an enhanced //e, //c, or
//GS though (also Laser 120 and Franklin 2200...I'm reading the ad in A+).
Obviously you need a mouse too.

However, I would suggest you get ProTERM. It is a much better terminal program
than AE (either The Pro or MouseTalk, although ProTERM doesn't support a
mouse)...ProTERM 2.0 supports many terminal emulations, including VT100. It
also has many file transfer protocols, such as Xmodem, Ymodem (batch too),
Kermit, Ascii (obviously), and a ProTERM original (I believe) called Transit,
which allows a full disk to be sent without packing with something such
as DDD.

ProTERM also has a very extensive macro section..You can write your own or
have IT WRITE THEM FOR YOU! (You log on and it will figure out the macro
for your online sequence).

2.0 also has a text editor which supports AppleWorks-type commands.

All in all, it's much better than Ascii Express. [And it's in ProDOS, which
wasn't what the first AE Pro was in.]

	-tuu

kai@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (03/15/88)

AE Pro (Ascii Express the Professional) is still around.  I just upgraded from
the DOS 3.3 version to the PRODOS version a few months ago.  No significant
new features in the PRODOS version (unless you sconsider 1 second versus 6
second load time significant).

I understand that there is also a "mousetalk" version for sale for rodent
lovers who like to deal with scads of menus instead of typing commands.  It's
amazing what kids today will do to avoid the twits who teach typing class.

I ordered it from a mail order firm that advertises in BYTE.  If you want to
contact the publisher, try United Software Industries at 303-671-0033.  It's
even cheaper now than the DOS 3.3 version I bought with my computer many years
ago.

Patrick Wolfe

pwolfe@kai.com
..!{uunet,ucbvax,ihnp4}!uiucuxc!kailand!pwolfe

mackay@dalcsug.UUCP (Daniel MacKay) (03/21/88)

One of the most useful parts of AE, I've found, is the remote access
ability.  It's really nice to be able to leave the computer knowing
someone can log in and download some stuff you've arranged for them
to get, without you being there.

The two file transmission protocols,
wait-for-a-prompt-character-at-the-beginning-of-each-line, and
wait-till-you-get-the-last-character-echoed-before-you-send-another-one,
come in really handy at times. (not often but when ya need them ya need
them)

I am saving my 0.01$s, however, for the mouse version, which a friend
has, and which is really slick.
---
+---------+				Dalhousie University
+---------+			...{utai,uunet}!dalcs!dalcsug!mackay

cs2531bn@charon.unm.edu (Lazlo Nibble) (03/21/88)

> One of the most useful parts of AE, I've found, is the remote access
> ability . . . The two file transmission protocols,
> wait-for-a-prompt-character-at-the-beginning-of-each-line, and
> wait-till-you-get-the-last-character-echoed-before-you-send-another-one,
> come in really handy at times....
>
> I am saving my 0.01$s, however, for the mouse version, which a friend
> has, and which is really slick.
>
> Daniel         mackay@dalcsug.UUCP

ProTERM has an unattended mode too.  It also lets you set prompts and line/char
transmission delays on ASCII uploads, and 2.0 has a really powerful command
langauge built into it.  You do need an "enhanced" machine to run it, though,
and it doesn't have any mouse-specific capabilities (though I never sprung for
a mouse anyway, so that doesn't bother me).

I dropped AE like a hot potato after playing with ProTERM for awhile.  You
really should check it out before you decide to buy AE:MouseTalk, it's worth
the money.

Lazlo Nibble (cs2531bn@charon.unm.edu)

CLAP100@BGUNOS.BITNET (Eran Lachs) (03/29/88)

I am an avid user of A-E, but have some difficulty when connecting to a
BBS. It so happens that whenever the Apple has to scroll(more then 24 lines
on the screen), I loose 6-8 chars from the start of each line.
I'm working 1200-2400, and the interrupts on my SSC don't improve a bit.
Any suggestions are VERY much welcomed.

--- Eran Lachs <> clap100@bgunos

GZT.EWW@OZ.AI.MIT.EDU (Wes Williams) (04/04/88)

Re: Ascii- Express and lost characters.
In the install menu, set the delay at end of line to a higher setting, and do
some experimenting. That should do the trick.
-------

unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (60164000) (04/04/88)

In article <8804031226.aa25938@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> CLAP100@BGUNOS.BITNET (Eran Lachs) writes:
>I am an avid user of A-E, but have some difficulty when connecting to a
>BBS. It so happens that whenever the Apple has to scroll(more then 24 lines
>on the screen), I loose 6-8 chars from the start of each line.
>I'm working 1200-2400, and the interrupts on my SSC don't improve a bit.
>Any suggestions are VERY much welcomed.

Are you -ABSOLUTELY- sure that the interrupts aren't helping?

Try toggling switch 2-6 (bank 2, switch 6), and see if that fixes it. I had
the same problem many years ago, and this fixed it immediately. Also, this
won't fix your problem, but I suggest that you (and anyone else that still
uses the archaic Ascii Express or -ANY OTHER- communications program) switch
to ProTERM. 2.0 has vt100 emulation plus many others, and a whole smorgasbord
(sp?) of file transfer types too (xmodem, ymodem, etc.).

-tuu