[comp.sys.apple] Settle out-of-court?

SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (04/04/88)

CS656%OUACCVMB.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU writes:
>HP and Apple could do is agree to a lawsuit like this.  Microsoft and HP
>could deliberately lose, giving Apple legal prcedent in it's claims. In  a
>spirit of forgiveness Apple could then give them both very cheap liscences
>to use this 'look and feel' but then decide not to liscence it to the makers
>of the new Clones that are coming. MICROSOFT and HP could then cry all the
>way to the bank about their 'loss'.

This solution WOULD make Microsoft cry as they are the ones planning to
sell operating systems to all those clone makers.  Hardly a week after
IBM announced plans for the Presentation Manager, Bill Gates was
quoted as saying there would be "clones" for non-IBM systems which
adopt OS/2 (from Microsoft).  Thus far, everyone presumes that the
Presentation Manager clone for Zenith, Leading Edge, etc. will be
OS/2 Windows (probably Apple has made the same assumption and, logically,
that surmise is one reason for the suit).

Nice try though.  I wonder if this group might be able to invent (at
least anticipate) a feasible out-of-court settlement of the case?

Disclaimer: I like my opinions better than my employer's anyway...

ARPA:   sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu       Murphy A. Sewall
BITNET: SEWALL@UCONNVM                          School of Business Admin.
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL  University of Connecticut