[comp.sys.apple] AppleWorks & RESET

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (04/02/88)

The "upgrade" to the Beagle Bros SuperMacroworks, The TIMEOUT series,
automatically patches AppleWorks 2.0 such that Control-Reset leads to the
AppleWorks main menu rather than to the machine-language monitor.

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca    |
  |  INTERNET:halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  BITNET:D57J@CORNELLA  D57J@CRNLVAX5|
  |  UUCP:{vax135,rochester,decvax}!cornell!batcomputer!halp                  |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601      |

>Date:         Thu, 31 Mar 88 03:18:00 CDT
>From:         MCL9337%TAMVENUS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
>Subject:      Various and sundry stuph...
>
>My case in point... AppleWorks!  WHY CAN'T YOU HIT RESET!?!?!?  This program
>(all $250 non-worth of it) is in at least it's fifth or sixth version!  Why
>doesn't Apple pull its head out and realize that people don't want to use
>buggy software!?  "Oh, who ever hits RESET anyway..."  Jeez!
>
>mcl9337@tamvenus.bitnet

I certainly agree that AppleWorks has more than its share problems of silly
problems that Apple (er...'scuze me...CLARIS) could (and hopefully will)
fix.  So little effort on the part of the people with the source code could
make things *so* much easier for so many people....

But--The way AppleWorks handles RESET is not a bug.  It could be improved
(see below), but it would *not* be good if RESET simply put you back at
the main menu.  This would encourage people to hit it a lot, and sooner
or later you're going to hit RESET in the *middle* of an important operation
on your document!

RESET is a hardware thing, and any piece of code running when you hit RESET
gets instantly stopped (well, at the end of the machine language instruction
currently executing) and *no* information is recorded about exactly what
the processor was doing at the time, so the program can't just pick up where
it left off, even if data has been left in a corrupted state!

There *are* times when you need to press RESET--if you're in the middle of
printing and your printer unavoidably goes off-line, you want to abort, and
AppleWorks doesn't have control (your interface card's ROM does and isn't
going to give it up).

So it would be nice if AppleWorks would give you a warning message saying
that hitting RESET isn't generally a great idea, but then putting you at
the main menu after doing a few checks to see if your documents are still
in one piece (or however many pieces they are supposed to be in).

By the way, Super MacroWorks (Beagle Brothers), and at least some other
AppleWorks enhancement packages, traps RESET for you.  This doesn't make
it a good habit, but it's good if you need to abort printing while your
printer is offline.

ProDOS can get pretty confused if you hit reset during a ProDOS call, by the
way.

--David A. Lyons  a.k.a.  DAL Systems
  PO Box 287 | North Liberty, IA 52317
  BITNET: AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS
  CompuServe: 72177,3233
  GEnie mail: D.LYONS2

jetzer@studsys.mu.edu (jetzer) (04/05/88)

In article <8804012258.aa12228@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA>, AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS.BITNET ("David A. Lyons") writes:
> RESET is a hardware thing, and any piece of code running when you hit RESET
> gets instantly stopped (well, at the end of the machine language instruction
> currently executing) and *no* information is recorded about exactly what
> the processor was doing at the time, so the program can't just pick up where
> it left off, even if data has been left in a corrupted state!
> [ .... ]
>
> ProDOS can get pretty confused if you hit reset during a ProDOS call, by the
> way.

It seems that the earlier versions of ProDOS had this nasty habit of trashing
something like block 2 (the key block of the directory).  Way back when I wsa
still programming under DOS 3.3, I would sometimes hit reset to stop a disk
access (I've matured since then :-)).  When I first started programming under
ProDOS, I did the same thing, until I trashed a couple of disks doing this....

don't
you
hate
line