[comp.sys.apple] HELP!!!!

JCKASPER@MTUS5.BITNET (04/04/88)

Date:    3 April 1988, 18:30:12 EST
From:    John C. Kasperski   <JCKASPER@MTUS5>
To:      INFO-APPLE at BRL.ARPA
Subject: HELP!!!!

Hello everyone.

     First of all, I'd like to thank those that answered the earlier question I
had concerning the program SHR convert.   I really appreciated it.

     Now I am putting out another call for HELP!   This one has to deal with
hooking up a Seagate ST225N drive to an Apple IIgs.  A while back it was stated
that this was possible, but not much was said about how in the world to do it.
For instance what controller card do you need... Apple II SCSI?  CMS SCSI card?
What's the price of these cards?   What software will work with a setup like
this?

    What about the ST251N (the 40 meg version)?   This one, I am assume will
work also, but does anyone know for sure?  It's the same type of drive as the
ST225N so it should, shouldn't it?   What about the 32 meg ProDOS limit?
Does this apply to ProDOS 16 too?   Is there any software out there that will
allow you to partion a drive into a number of smaller drives?   For example, a
20 meg partion and 2 10 meg partitions?   What about 4 or more partitions?
As far as other operating systems... all I need/want is ProDOS.  Will this
software work with this particular configuration.

    Finally, what about the cables?  I read that the SCSI cable has different
pinouts than the Seagate "N" drives... How difficult is it to make a cable
to do this conversion?  Is it possible to buy one from some third party?
Does anyone have the pinout specs on either the SCSI card (Apple's or CMS's)
or the "N" series drives?

     Any info. at all would be greatly appreciated...  and I'll gladly post a
summary of all I found out to anyone else who might be interested in this.

 <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
 <   John C. Kasperski, "Jc"                  Bitnet: JCKASPER @ MTUS5    >
 <                                                                        >
 <                    Michigan Technological University                   >
 <                                                                        >
 < Disclaimer:  The only foolish question, is the one that goes unasked.  >
 <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

usenet@saturn.ucsc.edu (Usenet News Account) (04/05/88)

From: unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (60164000)

The current issue of A+ that I have is the May issue that was mailed a few
days ago. I haven't read the ads thoroughly enough to see if there was an
ad for a particular card, but I know there was in a past issue.

In an issue a few months ago (probably March or April), I saw an ad for
a card that would make IBM HARD DRIVES WORK ON THE APPLE! I remember almost
no specifics, but I believe the card was for under $200. It had the card,
SOFTWARE, and, I believe, cables included.

It was said to work with "ST" drives (like the "ST225N" you speak of) with
up to 64 megabytes [must have partitioning built in].

This really sounds like a good card, and when I get enough money to buy a
hard drive, I will probably seriously consider this option rather than buying
a hard drive specifically for the Apple (too !@#$ much money!!).

Hope it helped...
			-tuu