[comp.sys.apple] APPLEWORKS on an APPLE II Plus

aehl@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Donald J Aehl) (04/05/88)

I own both an Apple IIgs and an Apple II+.  I use Appleworks 2.0 on my
Apple IIgs at school and I would like to be able to run Appleworks on my
Apple II+ while I am at home (and also so my family can use it when I am
away at school.)

Could anyone please explain what I would have to do to get APPLEWORKS to
run on my Apple II+.  I realize that I might have to purchase an earlier
release of Appleworks (1.3 perhaps?)  Yet, I am not certain of this.

Basically, I have an original Apple II+ with the Apple 16k Card installed
(Apple Language card?) giving a grand total of 64k of total RAM memory.

Also, what can be done to avoid the obvious hassel involved due to the
lack of an open-apple key on my Apple II+ keyboard? I ima|ine that the
solution has to do with using the paddle buttons, also I need some sort
of lower-case converter for my keyboard.

Put simply, I would like to know what the cheapest meathod is for getting
Appleworks to run on a II+ (for the least pmount of money.

Alas, I fear the cheapest solution is to go out and purchase a Lazer 128.
I think this is terrible.  Oh well, I have always felt bad about the
fact that Apple II and Apple II+ computers have been pretty much left out
of all the current Apple II software developments.  Sure it's still good
for playing games and watching bouncing ball demos (which by the way I
really enjoyed), However, it is too bad that they never cam out with a
"IIe Transporter" card which upgraded the capabilities of the original
Apple II.  Oh well.

Thanx in advance for any help.
ARPA: aehl@csd4.milw.wisc.edu        USMAIL: Donald Aehl
                                             Box #204
                                             3400 N. Maryland Ave.
					     Milwaukee, WI 53201
UUCP: ihnp4!uwmcsd1!uwm-evax!aehl    ICBM:   43 4 58 N / 87 55 52 W

laba-4an@web4d.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (04/05/88)

In article <5490@uwmcsd1.UUCP> aehl@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Donald J Aehl) writes:
>Could anyone please explain what I would have to do to get APPLEWORKS to
>run on my Apple II+.  I realize that I might have to purchase an earlier
>release of Appleworks (1.3 perhaps?)  Yet, I am not certain of this.

Not at all.  Buy a RamFactor card from Applied Engineering (let them know
that you want it for an AppleWorks/II+ combination), and you will be able
to run it with the software they supply.  You will also have the advantage
of a 250K desktop, increased clipboard and maximum document size, etc.

>Also, what can be done to avoid the obvious hassel involved due to the
>lack of an open-apple key on my Apple II+ keyboard? I ima|ine that the
>solution has to do with using the paddle buttons, also I need some sort
>of lower-case converter for my keyboard.

You use the escape key instead (hit escape twice to do a "real" escape).  You
must also have the one-wire shift-key mod installed (they will supply the
necessary equipment for a nominal fee).  It's a pain, but if you REALLY want
to use AppleWorks...

--
"Prevent forest fires.  Register matches."
			- Phillip K**n, famous anti-piracy expert

nakada@husc7.HARVARD.EDU (Paul Nakada) (04/05/88)

:
:==============================================================================
:ARPA: aehl@csd4.milw.wisc.edu        USMAIL: Donald Aehl
:                                             Box #204
:                                             3400 N. Maryland Ave.
:					     Milwaukee, WI 53201
:UUCP: ihnp4!uwmcsd1!uwm-evax!aehl    ICBM:   43 4 58 N / 87 55 52 W
:==============================================================================

the cheapest method is to buy the Applied Engineering 80 column card for
the ][+ (viewmaster, i think)  It has a patch which allows one to use
Appleworks with 64K (and a lot of disk access).   The lower case problem
can be solved with something called the shift key mod which doesn't use
a paddle input, but takes advantage of a shift lock circuit that wasn't
implemented on the keyboarfd encoder board (it's *very* simple).
the 80 col board lists for something around $140, but it can be had for cheaper.
I'm not sureabout the compatibility with AW 2.0, but it is definitely something
to consider.  hope this helps...
-paul

 __
|     Paul Nakada  '89   #8-)  |
      North House              | ihnp4!think\   nakada@husc4.HARVARD.EDU
      Harvard College          |       seismo>!harvard!husc4!nakada.UUCP
      Cambridge, MA  02138     |     rutgers/   nakada@husc4.BITNET
      617/498-6263 || 7110     |                                         __|

ganzer@nosc.NOSC.MIL (Mark T. Ganzer) (04/05/88)

In article <5490@uwmcsd1.UUCP>, aehl@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Donald J Aehl) writes:
> Could anyone please explain what I would have to do to get APPLEWORKS to
> run on my Apple II+.  I realize that I might have to purchase an earlier
> release of Appleworks (1.3 perhaps?)  Yet, I am not certain of this.
>
> Put simply, I would like to know what the cheapest meathod is for getting
> Appleworks to run on a II+ (for the least pmount of money.

The cheapest way to go would be to buy an inexpensive 128K RAM card
($70 in the latest Jameco sales flyer) and the Plus-Works program ($40,
and also available from Jameco)
which will adapt any version of Appleworks up to 2.0 to run on a II, II+
or Franklin. It gives you the open-apple commands by using a user-
defined prefix key, then hitting another key
(requires 2 keystrokes instead of one). Actually, with Plus-Works,
you can run on a 64K II+, but it only gives you a 10K desktop to work with.
With the 128K card, you have a 132K desktop available.

I went this route with my Franklin and it's worked fine. For app. $125
more, you can get an Apple RAM-card clone w/ 256K and have a bigger desktop
and have the ability to expand out to 1MB. Plus-Works will also support
this configuration, plus allow you to load Appleworks into a RAMdisk to
speed things up.
--
MarK T. Ganzer                    Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego
UUCP: {bonnie,sdcsvax,gould9,hp-sdd} - !nosc!ganzer

nakada@husc7.HARVARD.EDU (Paul Nakada) (04/06/88)

In article <616@nosc.NOSC.MIL> ganzer@nosc.NOSC.MIL (Mark T. Ganzer) writes:
:In article <5490@uwmcsd1.UUCP>, aehl@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Donald J Aehl) writes:
:> Could anyone please explain what I would have to do to get APPLEWORKS to
:> Put simply, I would like to know what the cheapest meathod is for getting
:> Appleworks to run on a II+ (for the least pmount of money.
:>
:
:The cheapest way to go would be to buy an inexpensive 128K RAM card
:($70 in the latest Jameco sales flyer) and the Plus-Works program ($40,
:and also available from Jameco)
:which will adapt any version of Appleworks up to 2.0 to run on a II, II+
:or Franklin. It gives you the open-apple commands by using a user-
:
:MarK T. Ganzer                    Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego
:UUCP: {bonnie,sdcsvax,gould9,hp-sdd} - !nosc!ganzer
:      {apl-uw,ncr-sd,bang,crash    } /
:Internet: ganzer@nosc.mil

i'm not very familiar with plus-works, but does this package allow appleworks
to operate in 40 column mode?  I would image it would have to utilize some
sort of 80 column card, no?

 __

ganzer@nosc.NOSC.MIL (Mark T. Ganzer) (04/06/88)

In article <4320@husc6.harvard.edu>, nakada@husc7.HARVARD.EDU (Paul Nakada) writes:

> i'm not very familiar with plus-works, but does this package allow appleworks
> to operate in 40 column mode?  I would image it would have to utilize some
> sort of 80 column card, no?

It does require an 80 column card (Videx clones are app. $50 around here).
The hardware requirements for a II+ or equiv are:

"Plus-Works supports the following 80 column displays: Videoterm (with
inverse), ultraterm, viewmax 80, franklin, viewmaster 80, magnum 80, wizard
80,smarterm.smarterm II,vision 80, multiview 80/160, M&R Sup'rterminal and
fullview 80. The display card must be in slot 3. Plus-Works and Appleworks
both require 64K RAM, therefore, the Apple language card or equivalent 16K
RAM card is required in slot 0. If your computer has the standard II
keyboard, the popular game-button shift-key odification is required... ."

"Plus-Works II supportd desktop expansion into many peripheral slot
ramcards from 64K to 1024K. The card may occupyany available slot. Those
supported are ALL cards from Legend Industries, Saturn/Titan, Abacus,
Prometheus, the Big Board, Quadram, Ramex, Orbital disco-ram, Microtek Q
disk, Flash Card, Apple memory expansion card, Ramfactor, Sprintdisk,
Flipster, the PCPI Applicard, the Micropro star card and the Franklin ACE
80 CPU card."

Also, for IIe's it will expand the desktop into all auxilary slot memory
cards...

Note: Plus-Works II is is a regitered trademark of Norwich Data Systems.
Disclaimer: I have no connections with Norwich Data Systems except as a
           satisfied customer...

--
MarK T. Ganzer                    Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego
UUCP: {bonnie,sdcsvax,gould9,hp-sdd} - !nosc!ganzer
      {apl-uw,ncr-sd,bang,crash    } /
Internet: ganzer@nosc.mil

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (04/07/88)

RE: Plus-Works and 40 Columns.

As you thought, some type of 80 column card is required. Plus-Works supports
a number of them. All versions of AppleWorks are supported. Many peripheral
slot ramcards are supported.

****However****, my version of Plus-Works, at least (copyright 1986) is not
compatible with ProDos v1.4.

Plus-Works is available from Norwich Data Services Ltd., P.O. Box 356,
East Norwich NY 11732-0356. Tel: 516-922-9584 or 201-679-0594.

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca    |
  |  INTERNET:halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  BITNET:D57J@CORNELLA  D57J@CRNLVAX5|
  |  UUCP:{vax135,rochester,decvax}!cornell!batcomputer!halp                  |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601      |