[comp.sys.apple] GS Slots

jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") (03/23/88)

This is a wary subject as far as screaming for more,
but as Doug Gwyn  puts it...

>If Apple provided a SCSI port, the IIGS might as well be slotless for
>most people.  Consider:
>       Slot 1  usurped by serial printer port
>       Slot 2  usurped by modem port
>       Slot 3  usurped by 80-column firmware
>       Slot 4  usurped by mouse
>       Slot 5  usurped by 3.5" drives on SmartPort
>       Slot 6  usurped by 5.25" drives on SmartPort
>       Slot 7  available, needed for SCSI hard disk
>On mine, I have MDIdeas's SuperSonic Digitizer in slot 2, and have to
>toggle back and forth via the control panel.  All the other slots are
>pretty much dedicated to fixed uses.

The GS needs more slots or a method of easily switching between slots
and ports. What bothers me is the Smartport and the Mouseport.
If Smart port is so smart, why can't it handle ALL the disk
drives 3.5 and 5.25? And why must Prodos assign only two drives
per slot as in DOS 3.3? That's a bit archaic; and it wouldn't be too hard
to work out an emulation scheme for 3.3 to work in such an environment
to take care of compatibility....

another thing: the mouse uses the Apple Desktop Port. Is ALL info from the mouse
coming from slot 4 anyway? or is this only in 8-bit mode?

finally, it sometimes gets annoying how little RAM is assigned to the slots.
I don't know how to fix this, but it is possible to add a few more pins to
each slot in such a way that old cards fit but larger ones could also work.
Big Blue does this, and it, well, it works.....

Brainstorm a bit.... a GS would be nice with a few more slots, or atleast
Slot 3,4, and 5 open for use instead of bogged down with stuff that ought
to be on the motherboard

"Nothing is Impossible...."

Capt. Albatross

laba-4an@web4e.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (03/24/88)

In article <kWFdQby00V4EVSw0Uw@andrew.cmu.edu> jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") writes:

>Brainstorm a bit.... a GS would be nice with a few more slots, or atleast
>Slot 3,4, and 5 open for use instead of bogged down with stuff that ought
>to be on the motherboard

90% of the stuff you listed IS on the motherboard.  The trick is finding a
way to access it, retaining compatibility with older programs.  If some
bizarre calling sequence were used instead, many older programs would not
function properly.

I do agree that there should be an easier way to switch between slots and
ports.  Your question about the mouse being attached to the Desktop Bus
is interesting, but I have a feeling that the Apple engineers wired the I/O
straight to slot 4 anyway.

--
"...it just takes a little longer to accomplish!"

denbeste@bgsuvax.UUCP (William C. DenBesten) (03/24/88)

From article <7932@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, by laba-4an@web4e.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden):
> 90% of the stuff you listed IS on the motherboard.  The trick is finding a
> way to access it, retaining compatibility with older programs.  If some
> bizarre calling sequence were used instead, many older programs would not
> function properly.

> I do agree that there should be an easier way to switch between slots and
> ports.  Your question about the mouse being attached to the Desktop Bus
> is interesting, but I have a feeling that the Apple engineers wired the I/O
> straight to slot 4 anyway.

I think that the only thing in the pseudo-slots is firmware.  The
mouse firmware calls the ADB routines to get the information and
arranges it to look like the results of the old mouse cards.
According to the IIgs hardware manual (via my sieve of a memory), the
i/o locations of the ADB mouse hardware doesn't conflict with that of
the real cards.  If you want to write your own drivers, you could
still use the mouse (and serial) ports without using the slot space.

I suspect that this is not true for the 5.25 drives, however, since
dos 3.3 and others directly access the i/o locations, so firmware
emulation is not enough.

I have not gotton arround to disassembling the pseudo cards, so I
can't be sure exactly what is going on, but I believe that this is
accurate.

Interesting thought... if tell the control panel to use my own card in
slot 4 will my ADB mouse still work in the finder?  My GS is at home
(not work), so I can't try this out.

--
          William C. DenBesten |       denbeste@bgsu.edu
      Dept of Computer Science | CSNET denbeste%andy.bgsu.edu@relay.cs.net

scott@geowhiz.UUCP (Scott Kempf) (03/24/88)

In article <kWFdQby00V4EVSw0Uw@andrew.cmu.edu> jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") writes:

>The GS needs more slots or a method of easily switching between slots
>and ports. What bothers me is the Smartport and the Mouseport.
>If Smart port is so smart, why can't it handle ALL the disk
>drives 3.5 and 5.25? And why must Prodos assign only two drives
>per slot as in DOS 3.3? That's a bit archaic; and it wouldn't be too hard
>to work out an emulation scheme for 3.3 to work in such an environment
>to take care of compatibility....

This is a limitation of ProDOS 8.  The SmartPort can in theory hand up to
127 devices.  5.25 drives are mapped to slot 6 because ProDOS says you can
only have 2 drives pre slot.

>another thing: the mouse uses the Apple Desktop Port. Is ALL info from the mouse
>coming from slot 4 anyway? or is this only in 8-bit mode?

The mouse port is just for //e compatibility.  8-bit mode can use the Apple
Desktop Bus.  //gs mouse programs should run with slot 4 set to "you card".

>"Nothing is Impossible...."
>

>Capt. Albatross

Scott Kempf                          Blue itself teaches us blue.  -Bill Ranson
MAIL:   1302 Rutledge St., Madison, WI  53703    PHONE:  (608) 255-6205  (home)
UUCP:   {seismo, topaz, harvard, ihnp4}!uwvax!geowhiz!scott
ARPA:   geowhiz!scott@spool.wisc.edu             PHONE:  (608) 262-6154  (work)
BITNET: scott%geowhiz.uucp%spool.wisc.edu@wiscvm.bitnet

tgm@xroads.UUCP (Sloan Tash) (04/05/88)

The gs mouse can be accessed directly forom the bus, freeing slot 4. The
problem is compatibility. The older programs won't use it, so you'd have to
switch if newer programs did. It's a compromise. There should have been a
better mehtod (perhaps routing the mouse to psuedo slot 4 in 8 bit mode?),
but
there was not. Maybe the rumored GS plus will fix this..
tgm
crash!xroads!tgm
--
\  /  C r o s s r o a d s  C o m m u n i c a t i o n s
 \/   (602) 971-2240

brsmith@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Brian R. Smith) (04/09/88)

Re: Mouse Card in slot 4

I thought it was possible to use slot 4 for other cards, as long as you used
the mouse only as an ADB device.  The only problem with this is that older
(Apple II) programs wouldn't find the mouse.

And I know for a fact that you can use slots 3 & 4 for cards that don't need
ROM's regardless of what you have the control panel set to.  I had a cheepo
modem with proprietary software that just uses the hardware I/O locations,
and wasn't affected at all by what the Control Panel said was in those slots.

Re: Smartport and 5.25 drives.

What we need here is a clever hacker to make a smartport driver for the
5.25" drives.  They're already hooked up to the same hardware as the 3.5"
drives, it's just that they have their own driver ROM in the slot 6 ROM
space.  Of course, this means you can't boot slot 6... big loss.  You'd have
to switch slot 6 back to the ROM's to run DOS3.3 stuff then, but I do that
so rarely it wouldn't be much of an inconvenience.

Brian Smith
[brsmith@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu.arpa]