[comp.sys.apple] Monitors for the IIgs

bird@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Walters) (04/07/88)

I'm geting ready to buy my IIgs and am trying to decide on which
monitor I want. In the past there have been people advocating the
Sony KV1311 over the Apple because it has a larger screen and a
tuner so it can be used to view TV broadcasts. (Lower price was
also mentioned, however, I think mail order Apple probably beats
the Sony at this time.) All of these people have said they like the
KV1311 better than the Apple.

On the other hand, I have a friend who is also researching the
issue and he says that on the two KV1311's he has seen in use on a
IIgs there is a definite "bowing" effect visible when straight
lines are displayed close to the top or bottom of the screen. He
has never seen the same effect on Apple monitors.

In addition, he and others have talked up the NEC Multisync as the
best monitor for the money (It is a more than either of the above
from what I hear). Is there anyone out there in net land that has
had experience with the NEC and the IIgs? If so, I would like to
hear from you.

As an aside, the IBM net mentiones that there are at least three
NEC Multisynch monitors available. Furthermore, I gather that the
original (Multisynch I) leaves much to be desired when used with
some brands of computers.

				Joe Walters ihnp4!ihlpf!bird
				IHP 1F-240 (312) 416-5356
--

unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (60164000) (04/07/88)

In article <4302@ihlpf.ATT.COM> bird@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Walters) writes:
>I'm geting ready to buy my IIgs and am trying to decide on which
>monitor I want. In the past there have been people advocating the
>Sony KV1311 over the Apple because it has a larger screen and a
>tuner so it can be used to view TV broadcasts. (Lower price was
>also mentioned, however, I think mail order Apple probably beats
>the Sony at this time.) All of these people have said they like the
>KV1311 better than the Apple.

I disagree with that statement about the mail order Apple RGB monitor
having a lower price than the Sony one. I am not an expert in the area
of RGB monitors, but, I too am looking for an RGB monitor (I am now still
using my green monochrome "Monitor //e"...The tilt kind).

As I stated before, the lowest I've seen the Apple monitor mail order is
$399, and I saw the Sony monitor LOWER AT A STORE THAN MAIL ORDER....I do
not know if Fry's Electronics is a nationwide chain, but, if it is, you
might want to try there for the Sony monitor. That is where I saw it for
$388...I've never seen it anywhere near that price mail order.

	-tuu

using my green monochrome "Monitor //E

tsouth@pro-pac.cts.COM (Todd South) (04/09/88)

In Article: <4302@ihlpf.ATT.COM> bird@ihlpf (Joe Walters) writes:

> I'm geting ready to buy my IIgs and am trying to decide on which
> monitor I want. In the past there have been people advocating the
> Sony KV1311 over the Apple because it has a larger screen and a
> tuner so it can be used to view TV broadcasts. (Lower price was
> also mentioned, however, I think mail order Apple probably beats
> the Sony at this time.) All of these people have said they like the
> KV1311 better than the Apple.

My two cents?  Well, I personally advocate buying from your dealer.
If you are going to buy your Apple //gs system from a dealer then
why not get the color monitor there too?  I'm sure he can provide you
with a listing of alternatives to Apple's own, if you don't want to
buy it (though, I personally own Apple's //gs color monitor and am
highly satisfied with the product).

The reason that I am advocating buying it through your dealer is
the fact that this is a major purchase item, and at least your
dealer (if reputable) will be able to affect repairs on the object
under some close-to-home warranty.  Living overseas for a time, I
had many friends buy monitors from mail-order companies that went
belly-up, and took upwards of 5 months to repair via the same route.

Todd South

 | Todd South : Ewa Beach, HI ||| Pacific Proline: (808) 499-2831 2400bd |
 | Uucp: {nosc, ihnp4, cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun!ihnp4}  nnnn  |
 |                 ...!crash!pnet01!pro-simasd!pro-pac!tsouth      HHHH n|
 | ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-simasd!pro-pac!tsouth@nosc.MIL           UUUU//|
 | INET: tsouth@pro-pac.CTS.COM                             Hi Ma! \   / |