[comp.sys.apple] Development machine

JAJZ801@CALSTATE.BITNET (JEFFREY SICHERMAN - CALSTATE LONG BEACH) (03/22/88)

  I am preparing to develop some software which will have to be able to run
on the whole APPLE II family: IIc, II+, IIe, IIgs (no I's, III's or MACS)

 The questions I have are:

  Is a LAZER128EX (apple clone) a suitable machine to develop sofware that
must run on all these. Note that I don't expect to customize the program
to any of the machines, it should run the same on all of them.

  Where can I find, in succinct form (book, article, etc), the pertinent
differences among these machines that will guide be in the above task.

  Jeff Sicherman
  jajz801@calstate.bitnet

CLAP100@BGUNOS.BITNET ("Eran B. Lachs") (03/28/88)

  The LAZER128EX is a suitable machine from the compatability point of
view, but if you plan to write machine code - don't use the uncommon
addresses of the machine. I mean write ALL your routines, and don't
make extensive use of monitor based ROM routines.
  You'll probably have to stick to DOS 3.3, cause //'s & //+'s can't
boot Prodos. You can't use open-apple & closed-apple keys, too.
  As for books - well, I recommend Apple's old reference manuals,
which you have to dig for first, then enjoy for their good machine
description. I have my old //+ manual, and that sure helped when I got
my //e.

---   Eran Lachs, Ben Gurion University, Beer Sheva, Israel
Bit : clap100@bgunos

blume@netmbx.UUCP (Heiko Blume) (04/09/88)

In article <8804030807.aa24443@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> CLAP100@BGUNOS.BITNET ("Eran B. Lachs") writes:
>                        . I mean write ALL your routines, and don't
>make extensive use of monitor based ROM routines.
>  You'll probably have to stick to DOS 3.3, cause //'s & //+'s can't
>boot Prodos. You can't use open-apple & closed-apple keys, too.

i dont know about the possible copyright infringements but i'd simply
copy the needed ROM rtns into my code....

for the ][+ : mine does boot ProDOS nicely; the open/closed-apple buttons
are on the joystick...

have phun
--
Heiko Blume                    # DOMAIN: blume@netmbx.UUCP { BITNET: ( mixed }
Seekorso 29                    # BANG  : ..!{backbone}!netmbx!blume