[comp.sys.apple] mixed bag

DSEAH@WPI.BITNET (04/01/88)

Someone mentioned that they kept their Supersonic Digitizer in Slot 2,
and had to swap back and forth to use it.  I have one of those, but
only use the stereo output a lot because the digitizer is so &@#@#^!
to get at without having a cable running out and broadcasting noise
all over the radio.  You can stick it in slot 3 without turning off the
80 col firmware because I think it only need power, not i/o, through
the slot.  I haven't tried it, but I think the 80 col firmware doesn't
make any difference when you are running the digitizing software
under ProDOS 16, so you can turn it off in times of need.

And about formatting track-by-track on a 3.5" disk:  The fast 16 sector
copiers like Locksmith 6.0 Fast Backup, Copy II Plus, and Diversi-
Copy read in a track-image without post-nibbling the data.  That is,
it just leaves the track in raw, funny-looking 6 bit disk bytes.
This way, the FORMATTING of the track is also preserved.  Then the
copier just writes the raw track data back to the disk, making sure that
the track end doesn't write over the beginning.  This is very fast,
because you don't have to mess with decoding, buffers, ANDs, ORs, or
buts.  However it takes up more memory.  This should be theoretically
possible on a 3.5" disk drive, because the track formatting is
almost exactly the same as on a 5.25" disk.  It is also the same
as the Macintosh format with the exception of 12 ID bytes of some kind.
In fact, Copy II Plus 8.1 Sector Copy appears to use this technique.
No preformatting of the disk.  Using one drive and 1.25Meg of memory,
it took 30 seconds more time to use Diversi-Copy (with Diversi Cache
on) to backup my DPaint art disk than it did with Copy II Plus with
one swap of the disk.  I would like to find out how to program the
3.5" drive directly as you could with the 5.25" drives from assembly
language, but Apples reference manuals seem foggy on this.  Can anyone
help?

And Fans.  I probably have to get one soon, but I don't want to pay $40
for a Real, Noisy-as-hell Apple Original.  What specs do the Apple //gs
fan have to meet?

DSEAH@WPI.BITNET (04/05/88)

Do any Music Studio owners out there have some interesting music?
Activision allegedly has a BBS in California but it doesn't answer.
It is supposed to have technical support, updates, forums, songs and
instruments.

Oh yes,  one thing that is really upsetting is Music Studio CRASHES if you
have a ProGrappler enabled.  So much for printing sheet music.  Yet another
reason to dump this piece of crap.  Does anyone want to buy a relatively
trouble-free ProGrappler for their Apple //e?  The cable doesn't
sit good on the connectors but it works.  I'll lose it for $50, cable
included and manual too.  Sorry, but already sent in the registration
card.  I still have the proof-of-purchase, though.

WANTED: info on Orange Micro's GRAPPLER C/MAC/GS protocol converter.
It is supposed to latch onto your printer's Centronics port and make
it speak  in digestable Imagewriter-compatible chunks through the
GS/C/MAC serial port.

According to a blurb in the Music Studio box,  Paintworks Gold has
EPSON printer drivers for Grappler compatibles for the Apple IIgs.

Has anybody seen ALIEN MIND from PBI software or FIREPOWER by
Microillusions?  The one ad I saw for ALIEN MIND looked a lot
like ALIENS (the movie) with all kinds of weapon options.  I am
suspicious of PBI because they have released junk so far in terms
of playable GS games.  I have heard that FIREPOWER for the Amiga
is pretty awesome and can be played through the Modem.  I am hoping
that the GS version will be the next Thexder for us.

On another tangent, is it true that there is a Apple ][ Plus version
of Flight Simulator that has play-by-modem built into it?  I heard
another rumor that subLOGIC is getting an Apple //GS version out
pretty soon.  While we are on the topic of flight simulators, what
is EOA's Chuck Yeagers Advanced Flight Trainer like?  Also,  Sierra
On-Line has something for the GS called 3D HELICOPTER SIMULATOR,
which I haven't seen around yet.

 Dave Seah --- Worcester Polytechnic Institute

 | Bitnet:   DSeah@WPI.Bitnet                   |  We can't receive files!
 | Internet: DSeah%WPI.Bitnet@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU   |  EMAIL only!

SASQUATCH@ALBION.BITNET (04/10/88)

Ok folks, get read for a bunch of questions.

What are the practical limitations of CDAs?  I'm thinking along the line of a pr
   ogram that's a CDA.  It'd be rather nice to be able to call up my modem progr
   am
from with another program and run it, then return to the other program.  Would
it be possible to write a modem software that worked as a CDA or to write a CDA
that could call in and run a specific piece of software and then return you to
the software from whence you came?

About mice.  I don't really care for them.  Is it possible to wire a regular
joystick up to the appropriate connector and use that instead of a mouse?
I work with rather restricted desk space and would rather move a joystick than
have to constantly clear space for that silly mouse.

On a related note, would there be any problem makeing an ADB splitter
so that I could hook my mouse (or, hopefully joystick :-) to the back of the
apple, then plug my keyboard into that?  The reason I ask is that it seems
rather self-defeating to have a detachable keyboard then attack a mouse to
it that you have to worry about dropping everytime you pick up the keyboard.
Not only would this make the keyboard more detachable, but it would also allow
hooking up another, different ADB device to the keyboard if I ever had an urge
to do that.

About kermit 3.82.  I'm having a problem with it.  Everytime I get a message
from a SEND command and everytime Kermit makes my GS beep, it looses a _bunch_
of characters from the beginning of that line.  Does any one know how to fix
this?

I'll appreciate any help people can give me.  Specific instructions on building
the ADB splitter and/or wiring a joystick to the ADB connecter would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin Lepard
Bitnet:  SASQUATCH@ALBION

Disclaimer:  Who said that?  I would never say that.

My opinions do not necessarily reflect those of Albion College.

(Thank goodness.)

laba-4an@web3d.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (04/10/88)

In article <8804092000.aa12183@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> SASQUATCH@ALBION.BITNET writes:

>ogram that's a CDA.  It'd be rather nice to be able to call up my modem program
>from with another program and run it, then return to the other program.

Z-Link allows you to exit without hanging up.  Still, a CDA would be VERY nice.

>About mice.  I don't really care for them.  Is it possible to wire a regular
>joystick up to the appropriate connector and use that instead of a mouse?
>I work with rather restricted desk space and would rather move a joystick than
>have to constantly clear space for that silly mouse.

It is possible to insert a device driver of sorts into the //gs heartbeat
queue.  Unfortunately, my copy of the //gs Toolbox Reference is like November
198[5/6], and doesn't contain much specific info.

--
"Will my mouse work with an Apple CAT modem?"

laba-4an@widow.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (04/10/88)

RE: Mouse alternatives

A. Stationary Mouse

The Kensington "Turbo Mouse" is a track ball that has two large buttons. It
replaces a mouse on ][c and ][e, and I, assume, ][gs. I like it much better

than a mouse since it doesn't move around and doesn't get dirty. It provides
at least as much control as a 'standard' mouse; perhaps more.

B. Joystick-Mouse Combination

I think that CH Products or Kraft Systems makes a ][x joyskick/mouse hybrid.

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca    |
  |  INTERNET:halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  BITNET:D57J@CORNELLA  D57J@CRNLVAX5|
  |  UUCP:{vax135,rochester,decvax}!cornell!batcomputer!halp                  |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601      |