[comp.sys.apple] text files in prosel

CHRIS@BROWNVM.BITNET (Christopher Chung) (04/07/88)

     I just bought a Sider C46 hard drive and it came with Prosel.  I am having
a slight problem with text files.  Why is it that when I download a file
from the mainframe or transfer the a text file from dos, it doesn't show
up under prosel?  Has anyone else had this problem?  Is it a problem with
prosel recognizing text files because I catalog the volume and see the files
when I am in Kermit or using Copy II plus?
     While I am asking questions, here's another someone may be able to help
me with.  Is there any way to change a BIN file into a SYS file?  Specifically
I would like to run kermit in prodos but I don't want to go into applesoft
basic and then run the kermit.  Any way to do this?  Incidentally, the BIN
file also does not show up under prosel.  Strange...
     Please send replies directly to me if you can because I don't always
get to read the list right away.

Thanks,
Chris

JDA@NIHCU.BITNET (Doug Ashbrook) (04/07/88)

> me with.  Is there any way to change a BIN file into a SYS file?  Specifically

If you have a //gs, the file 87-00232 on APPLE2-L will allow you to
change the file type.  You do know how to get files from APPLE2-L, I
hope  :-)

J. Douglas Ashbrook                                  (301) 496-5181
BITNET: JDA@NIHCU            ARPA: jda%nihcu.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
National Institutes of Health, Computer Center,  Bethesda, MD 20892

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (04/09/88)

In article <8804071428.aa09386@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> JDA@NIHCU.BITNET (Doug Ashbrook) writes:
>> me with.  Is there any way to change a BIN file into a SYS file?  Specifically
>
>If you have a //gs, the file 87-00232 on APPLE2-L will allow you to
>change the file type.  You do know how to get files from APPLE2-L, I
>hope  :-)
>
>J. Douglas Ashbrook                                  (301) 496-5181

Well, i don't know about that program, but here's what you have to worry
about:

SYS files are supposed to load in at $200, and relocate if necessary.
SYS files are *supposed* to exit via a prodos quit call

So. . .  If it so happens that you have a BIN file that runs from $200,
-or- is relocatable, *and* it exits correctly. . .
then

bload file,a$xxxx,l$yyyy
delete file
bsave file,tsys,a$xxxx,l$yyyy

You may be able to remove the xxx and yyy, but I'm not sure, as you are
creating a new file. . .

Sean Kamath

--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET: reed!kamath@PSUVAX1.BITNET

laba-4an@web3d.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (04/10/88)

In article <8705@reed.UUCP> kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) writes:
>In article <8804071428.aa09386@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> JDA@NIHCU.BITNET (Doug Ashbrook) writes:
>>> me with.  Is there any way to change a BIN file into a SYS file?  Specifically
>
>Well, i don't know about that program, but here's what you have to worry
>about:
>
>SYS files are supposed to load in at $200, and relocate if necessary.
>SYS files are *supposed* to exit via a prodos quit call

[stuff deleted]
>Sean Kamath

Other things to worry about:

First of all, it's $2000 (should be rather obvious :-)).

SYS files are supposed to clear the system bitmap so that everything works
properly.  The idea is that a SYS file can be executed regardless of the state
of machine.  This means that you should also reset the text screen (40/80 cols,
mode, etc) and make sure that, in general, everything is wonderful.

If you're not sure what to do, take a look at the start of the ProDOS quit
code ($d100-$d?00).

Hope this helps...

--
"You're in good hands with tribbles."
			- Not-so-serious starfleet commander

jetzer@studsys.mu.edu (jetzer) (04/10/88)

In article <8705@reed.UUCP>, kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) writes:
> In article <8804071428.aa09386@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> JDA@NIHCU.BITNET (Doug Ashbrook) writes:
> >> me with.  Is there any way to change a BIN file into a SYS file?  Specifically

> SYS files are supposed to load in at $200, and relocate if necessary.
> SYS files are *supposed* to exit via a prodos quit call

> So. . .  If it so happens that you have a BIN file that runs from $200,
> -or- is relocatable, *and* it exits correctly. . .
> then

> bload file,a$xxxx,l$yyyy
> delete file
> bsave file,tsys,a$xxxx,l$yyyy

SYStem files start at $2000, *not* $200.

Also, you cannot save to a SYStem file that does not already exist; you must
create it first.  So, the sequence would actually be

bload file,a$xxxx
delete file
create file,tsys
bsave file,tsys,a$xxxx,l$yyyy

Also note that you do not need the L parameter when you load a file.  In fact,
you're better off not using it to load, because if you mistype the number,
you may wind up not loading in all of the file.
--
Mike Jetzer
"If you can't be right, be forceful"