[comp.sys.apple] one picture worth 20 years?

CS656@OUACCVMB.BITNET (04/10/88)

Have you seen the newest issue of Nite Owl News? They now resell Thunderscanner
s.  They emphasize this with a cover story about Scanners complete with the
picture of a $20 dollar bill that they scanned. Aren't the Feds a little
trigger happy about this sort of thing?

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (04/11/88)

In article <8804091426.aa08937@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> CS656@OUACCVMB.BITNET writes:
>Have you seen the newest issue of Nite Owl News? They now resell Thunderscanner
>s.  They emphasize this with a cover story about Scanners complete with the
>picture of a $20 dollar bill that they scanned. Aren't the Feds a little
>trigger happy about this sort of thing?

According to federal law, the copy may be greater than 150%  original,
or less than 200% original.

The reason it has to be 200% smaller is that a smaller bill is harder for
the average person to "detect" without examination.

Sean Kamath

What *I* want to know is. . .  Does anyone remember the pencils that had a
shredded buck in them?  Now that *is* a felony.  It's destruction of federal
property. I remember, cause a cop once yelled at me for putting pennies on a
railroad track. Ain't never done it since!  I just know the only one allowed
to destroy money is the Federal Government.

Sean the law abiding Kamath
--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET: reed!kamath@PSUVAX1.BITNET

unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (60164000) (04/11/88)

In article <8734@reed.UUCP> kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) writes:
>What *I* want to know is. . .  Does anyone remember the pencils that had a
>shredded buck in them?  Now that *is* a felony.  It's destruction of federal
>property. I remember, cause a cop once yelled at me for putting pennies on a
>railroad track. Ain't never done it since!  I just know the only one allowed
>to destroy money is the Federal Government.

Doesn't really belong on this newsgroup, but I'm just replying to your
message. You answered your own query...The Federal Government IS allowed to
destroy money...The people that make paperweights, etc. with shredded money
in them BUY it from the government. Obviously a company's not going to get
$10,000, shred it, put it in a paperweight and sell it for $10 or whatever.
They just buy it from the government. I guess they shred some (Ollie North's
job?), and burn some of the rest, I believe.

	-tuu

jac@paul.rutgers.edu (Jonathan A. Chandross) (04/12/88)

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) writes:

>What *I* want to know is. . .  Does anyone remember the pencils that had a
>shredded buck in them?  Now that *is* a felony.  It's destruction of federal
>property.

It isn't a felony since the Department of the Treasury has special dispensation
to destroy old bills.   Where do you think worn out bills go?  The DOT sells
the shredded bills to anyone who wants to buy them.   After all, they're
good capitalists too.

Jonathan A. Chandross
ARPA: jac@paul.rutgers.edu
UUCP: rutgers!jac@paul.rutgers.edu