[comp.sys.apple] ProDOS on the II+

>Date:         Sat, 9 Apr 88 02:24:37 GMT
>From:         David Douthitt <geowhiz!uwspan!circle!rat@speedy.cs.wisc.edu>
>Subject:      Re: Prodos on II/II+
>
>[...]
>There is a common misconception that Prodos does not run on II+'s.
>Prodos works JUST FINE on a II+... it is the extensions to BASIC that
>don't work.  Thus, you can operate SOME programs on an Apple II+ in
>Prodos (Kyan Pascal + KIX is a good example).
>
>In short --
>  PRODOS.SYSTEM ----- works
>  BASIC.SYSTEM  ----- fails
>  APW.SYSTEM    ----- fails (appleworks)

Wrong!  BASIC.SYSTEM works just fine on the II+.  AppleWorks can be made to
work on the II+ if you buy PlusWorks (Norwich Data Systems??)--I think
Applied Engineering also has AppleWorks-on-the-II+ patch software.

*Lots* of ProDOS stuff works on the II+.  For example: many of the ProSEL
utils utilities, EDASM, Merlin/BigMac (*not* Merlin Pro), FreeWriter,
FredWriter, Bag of Tricks II (I think), and the Davex environment (a
command shell + growing number of utilities [by yours truly]).

>By the way, be aware that a bug in PRODOS makes it trash the disk (NOT
>NICE!)  There is a fix, but I don't have it -- its a *BUG* ...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that applies only to 5.25 drives and was
never tracked down for sure.  Open-Apple came up with a perfectly
believable explanation of the problem, but I don't think they convinced
Apple to make their patch to ProDOS.  As I recall, the problem resulted
only when you got unlucky booting a 5.25 drive *and* you had an older power
supply.

>     David Douthitt
>     rat@circle

--David A. Lyons  a.k.a.  DAL Systems
  PO Box 287 | North Liberty, IA 52317
  BITNET: AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS
  CompuServe: 72177,3233
  GEnie mail: D.LYONS2

In article <8804120159.aa03521@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS.BITNET ("David A. Lyons") writes:
>Correct me if I'm wrong, but that applies only to 5.25 drives and was
>never tracked down for sure.  Open-Apple came up with a perfectly
>believable explanation of the problem, but I don't think they convinced
>Apple to make their patch to ProDOS.  As I recall, the problem resulted
>only when you got unlucky booting a 5.25 drive *and* you had an older power
>supply.

No, that was a bogus diagnostic.  The actual culprit was a bug
in ProDOS that left the disk electronics in write mode at an
inappropriate time.  The most recent release of ProDOS appears
to have fixed this.