[net.movies] GP rating of movies

naiman@pegasus.UUCP (Ephrayim J. Naiman) (06/21/84)

Does anyone know if there ever was a "GP" rating for movies ?
--
==> Ephrayim J. Naiman @ AT&T Information Systems Laboratories (201) 576-6259
Paths: [ihnp4, allegra, ...]!pegasus!naiman

fish@ihu1g.UUCP (Bob Fishell) (06/21/84)

The GP rating for movies was in use in the 1960s, and replaced the ambiguous
"M" (mature) rating.  It was intended to make it clearer to the public just
how old you had to be to see a given film without parental consent.  The
"G" meant that they'd let anybody in; the "P" meant "Parental guidance
suggested," i.e., the material might contain some mild violence or adult
themes, etc, that some very conservative parents might flap about.  The
"GP" was later changed to "PG," and has remained so.  However, PG=GP=M,
as far as admission standards are concerned.

I saw on the local news last night that some people want to split the
"PG" rating into two groups, PG and PG13.  The "PG13" group would be
for more violent films like "Indy Jones," that nevertheless are devoid
of the graphic violence, nudity, sex, or raw language that usually
earn a film an "R" rating.  In this group, kids under 13 would not
be admitted without a parent or guardian.  Dumb? I think so.  However,
it does illustrate the ambiguity of the PG rating group, which runs the
gamut from family films like "ET" to some films which have no business
being shown to an 8-year-old, if for no other reason than they would bore
them.
--

                               Bob Fishell
                               ihnp4!ihu1g!fish

hitchens@ut-sally.UUCP (Ron Hitchens) (06/22/84)

[]

   Yes, of course.  GP and PG are the same thing.  The original MPAA ratings
were: G, GP, R and X.  G meant general and GP meant general but parental
guidance suggested.  The letters were later reversed to make it more
mnemonic (Parental Guidance).  That's all there was to it, no chance in
meaning.  The change occurred about 10 years ago (when I was in
high school).  You still see the GP rating on old posters and prints.

 Ron Hitchens           hitchens@ut-sally
 [Never try to teach a pig to sing, it                 [.UTEXAS, domain of the
 wastes your time and it annoys the pig.]               Mayan SUN worshippers]

ags@pucc-i (Seaman) (06/22/84)

>  Does anyone know if there ever was a "GP" rating for movies ?

There was indeed.  It was the same rating now called "PG", and it meant:

	"for General audiences -- Parental guidance recommended"
	     ^                    ^

Before that the rating was called "M - for Mature audiences"
--

Dave Seaman			"My hovercraft is full of eels."
..!pur-ee!pucc-i:ags

barmar@mit-eddie.UUCP (Barry Margolin) (06/22/84)

In article <442@ihu1g.UUCP> fish@ihu1g.UUCP (Bob Fishell) writes:
>  In this group [PG13], kids under 13 would not
>be admitted without a parent or guardian.
>                               Bob Fishell
>                               ihnp4!ihu1g!fish

Actually, the new PG-13 rating is not going to be a restriction, just a
guideline, the way PG is.  The theatre associations have stated that
they are not planning to enforce it.  It is a parental recommendation.

In a related area, I read today that a state court ruled in favor of a
movie theatre that was being sued for allowing children into an R movie.
The standards are not legally binding on the theatres; they are just
guidelines, and enforcement is voluntary.
--
			Barry Margolin
			ARPA: barmar@MIT-Multics

upstill@ucbvax.UUCP (Steve Upstill) (06/22/84)

Yes indeed.  The rating we now know as PG has had two other names: M when
the rating system was first adopted (for Mature audiences [sic]); then,
several years later, for about two years, GP (General admission, Parental
discretion advised).