[comp.sys.apple] Need addresses for INET<-->newsgroups

SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (04/17/88)

 osu-cis!n8emr!lwv@TUT.CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU writes:
>                                 ...nor do we have any jurisdiction in bitnet
>land to create gateways, etc.  The whole idea for comp.binaries.apple2 is
>so that those items currently going into apple2-l and not to the 3600 folks
>who ONLY get usenet can get out to the rest of the usenet world.  Likewise,
>it makes it possible - with the proper setup by indivduals, for the rest
>of the usenet world to get things back into apple2-l

What we have here is a failure to communicate (literally as well
as figuratively).

We don't need to set up either a gateway or a list that doesn't
already exist.

What we DO need is an ADDRESS for APPLE2-L to send to (so that
it WILL appear) on comp.binaries.apple2 (perhaps there is some
way for mail from bitnet to be sent directly to a newsgroup, but
I haven't heard of any instances -- we always use an arpa address).

Surely, there IS a vehicle for newsgroups to send mail to the Internet
since comp.sys.apple gets sent to info-apple@brl.arpa (AND vice versa).
This is NOT a process requiring human intervention for each message
(as far as I know Brint Cooper doesn't have access to USENET, but
the mail goes back and forth).

There's nothing magical about arpanet in the process; whatever address
setup is used could exchange mail between newsgroups and bitnet as
easily as between newsgroups and arpanet (in the case of files, it makes
sense to use bitnet because arpanet addresses CAN receive files).

Paul Nakada IS at a site on both USENET and INET.  Possibly he can
figure out how to cross-connect APPLE2-L and comp.binaries.apple2???
(Chris Chung needs an address to program into LISTSERV@BROWNVM and
one half will be done).

Disclaimer: The "look and feel" of this message is exclusively MINE!

ARPA:   sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu       Murphy A. Sewall
BITNET: SEWALL@UCONNVM                          School of Business Admin.
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL  University of Connecticut