[comp.sys.apple] comp.binaries.apple2 is HERE!!!

nakada@husc7.HARVARD.EDU (Paul Nakada) (04/13/88)

comp.binaries.apple2 is here!!!!

LET'S KEEP IT A PRODUCTIVE FORUM!!!!
thanks to all who helped out...

-paul

 __
|     Paul Nakada  '89   #8-)  |
      North House              | ihnp4!think\   nakada@husc4.HARVARD.EDU
      Harvard College          |       seismo>!harvard!husc4!nakada.UUCP
      Cambridge, MA  02138     |     rutgers/   nakada@husc4.BITNET
      617/498-6263 || 7110     |                                         __|

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (04/13/88)

Paul, Grant, M Sewall, and others  - now that we have comp.binaries.apple
we should plan on finding someone who has EASY access to bitnet and have
them set up some kind of gateway (either manual or automatic) so that the
bitnet folks continue to get all of the software.  Another nice touch
would be for this same person to a) sluge thru the current apple2-l stuff
and post it for all usenetter's benefit and b) think about an apple2-l to
usenet gateway as well - the gateways should be smart enough to prevent
recursive postings.

Next, some administrative details that we should discuss - what criteria
should be used for things to be posted?  Some of the issues:

1. what format should files be posted?
2. who should do the posting?  Some authors take offense to folks posting
their software for them - and others dont WANT their software posted.
3. any other issues?  Someone want to keep archives  and produce indexes?

Still another administrative nit for us to pick - how would folks feel about
a proposed name change for the usenet side of this group - currently we are
called comp.sys.apple - this results in us getting mac, etc. discussions. How
about we request a name change to comp.sys.apple2?  Of course, Apple II folks
are not the ONLY non-mac users, there are apple i and iii's out there.  I
doubt that there will be an apple iv though, so we could 'adopt' these folks.

Next, are there any delphi, genie, and 'other' (:-)) electronic netters out
there who can get permission to cross post interesting articles, indexes of
programs, etc. ?  I notice that in the mac group someone digests email from
delphi and (and occasionally genie) and i seem to remember seeing yet another
network (arpa perhaps) digests posted as well.

Well, enough nattering for now...

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817

B3140002@BCIT.BITNET (04/14/88)

>comp.binaries.apple2 is here!!!!
>
>LET'S KEEP IT A PRODUCTIVE FORUM!!!!
>thanks to all who helped out...

Great but how do we get at it??
This is the second note I have gotten saying that comp.binaries,appl2 is here.
But how do you use it??
Sean Barry
Disclaimer : The above are my opions only.  If you don't agree well that is
             Just too bad!

Bitnet   : <B3140002@BCIT>
NetNorth : B3140002.BCIT.NetNorth.CA

patth@dasys1.UUCP (Patt Haring) (04/17/88)

In article <4361@husc6.harvard.edu>, nakada@husc7.HARVARD.EDU (Paul Nakada) writes:
> comp.binaries.apple2 is here!!!!
> LET'S KEEP IT A PRODUCTIVE FORUM!!!!
> thanks to all who helped out...

     Special thanks to you, Paul for tallying the votes, etc.
Creation of this newsgroup was tried time and time again and
it's wonderful to see it finally happen.

--
Patt Haring                 {sun!hoptoad,cmcl2!phri}!dasys1!patth
Big Electric Cat Public Access Unix (212) 879-9031 - System Operator

Three aspects of wisdom:  intelligence, justice & kindness.

jetzer@studsys.mu.edu (jetzer) (04/18/88)

In article <632*B3140002@BCIT>, B3140002@BCIT.BITNET writes:

> >comp.binaries.apple2 is here!!!!

> >LET'S KEEP IT A PRODUCTIVE FORUM!!!!
> >thanks to all who helped out...

> Great but how do we get at it??
> This is the second note I have gotten saying that comp.binaries,appl2 is here.
> But how do you use it??

Several people have declared that comp.binaries.apple2 is "here," but we
aren't getting it here at Marquette U.  Could anybody enlighten me as to
why we don't get it?

--
Mike Jetzer
"If you can't be right, be forceful"

abc@BRL.ARPA (Brint Cooper) (04/18/88)

Mike Jetzer writes:

> Several people have declared that comp.binaries.apple2 is "here," but we
> aren't getting it here at Marquette U.  Could anybody enlighten me as to
> why we don't get it?

	comp.binaries.apple2 is a Usenet news group.  It is not a
mailing list.  For this group to be available, your site must receive
Usenet News.  This news is most usually distributed among Unix systems
over dial-up telephone lines using the UUCP (Unix to Unix CoPy) routines
available under Unix.

	Many Unix sites are connected to the rest of the world only by
their telephones and by the UUCP programs.  Users at such sites do not
receive Info-Apple; they read the News group "comp.sys.apple."  The
connection between Info-Apple and comp.sys.apple is explicitly made at
Berkeley.

	comp.binaries.apple2 was created because, for reasons that I
don't understand, APPLE2-L cannot reach UUCP-only sites from BROWNVM on
the Bitnet.

	Everything sent to APPLE2-L will be "posted" to
comp.binaries.apple2.  HOWEVER, I am not sure that things posted first
to comp.binaries.apple2 will get to APPLE2-L.  If this capability is
made to happen, then comp.binaries.apple2 and APPLE2-L will carry
exactly the same traffic, just as Info-Apple and comp.sys.apple do now.

	I hope that this clears up what seem to be a large number of questions.

_Brint