[comp.sys.apple] Dem upgrade blues....

DICKSON@HARTFORD.BITNET (04/14/88)

Okay, I admit it.  I made a bad choice in upgrading my //e to a GS rather
than selling the old system and buying a new one.

The final step in reaching that decision came yesterday, when my Applied
Engineering Battery Backup system came, with which I was going to make my
AE Ramcard into a ROMdisk.  However, the card does not fit inside the case
of a //e.  I called Checkmate, and they have a custom option that will allow
their Ramsaver to fit in an upgraded //e, but you have to (A) drill a hole in
the top of the case or leave the cover off, and (B) count slot 7 as lost
forever, since the card will block it.  Plus you have to yank out the internal
keyboard socket.

So I have several options.  Return the card and wait for one that fits to be
designed, go with the Checkmate option, build a new case (I'm no craftsman),
or buy an empty GS case (about $100).

Does anybody have any other ideas?  Also, if I buy the GS case, I'll have a
//e case with system saver attached for sale, if anybody wants it.  Make me
an offer.

Bill Dickson
DICKSON@HARTFORD.BITNET

williamm@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Michael Williams) (04/19/88)

In article <8804131413.aa02286@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> DICKSON@HARTFORD.BITNET writes:
>Okay, I admit it.  I made a bad choice in upgrading my //e to a GS rather
>than selling the old system and buying a new one.
>
>The final step in reaching that decision came yesterday, when my Applied
>Engineering Battery Backup system came, with which I was going to make my
>AE Ramcard into a ROMdisk.  However, the card does not fit inside the case
>of a //e.  I called Checkmate, and they have a custom option that will allow
>their Ramsaver to fit in an upgraded //e, but you have to (A) drill a hole in
>the top of the case or leave the cover off, and (B) count slot 7 as lost
>forever, since the card will block it.  Plus you have to yank out the internal
>keyboard socket.
> [...]
>Bill Dickson
>DICKSON@HARTFORD.BITNET

Bill, NO NO NO!
If, as I understand it, the AE RAMcard is just a regular card which goes
into a regular slot on a //e, why not simply extend the slot to outside
the computer, and put the RAMcard into the external slot?
  Two ways to do this, the easiest being to purchase an extender; the other
being to build your own.  The later is NOT at all difficult to do, but if
you would like a ready-made extender, they are not that much.  I know
that the company that makes Paddle-Adapple made one, but I don't know
if they are still in business (Alan Stein might know; he is who sent
me the Adapple [BTW, Alan, I haven't yet rewired the DIP plug. soon]). For
less than $30 (cost to purchase), you can have your problem solved.  If
you need any help with either of these, let me know, for I have built one.
And if I can do it......

Keep the //e-based setup,
-Remo
..{nbires,ncar,seismo,ihnp4}!boulder!tramp!williamm \ Bela Lugosi  riding  the
BIT: WILLIAMS%CUBLDR@VAXF.COLORADO.EDU              / Kundalini Express in ...
SNAIL: 2905 E Aurora Ave #129, Boulder CO 80303     \ (could it be?) Sunshine!
      "Aw SHPX this and SHPX that, SHPX it all SHPXing, SHPXing blat!
          She don't wanna baby 'at looks like THAT!" SeX PiStoLs