[comp.sys.apple] Apple2L, GEOS, CP/M

DSEAH@WPI.BITNET (04/12/88)

A Number from BCIT has sent me an index of Apple2-L files.  My directory
hurts.  Thanks, dude!

GEOS:
A friend of mine has GEOS 128 for his (gasp!) Commodore 128.  It kind of
sucks, but is pretty good for a Commodore application.  Has anybody
purchased it yet?  I am interested in hearing how it is on the II.

CP/M:
The same friend is sorely lacking in CP/M software.  Is it possible to
transfer CP/M stuff from the Apple?  Stupid me, of course it is possible!
With Apple, anything can be made possible, if slowly.  Alright,  how
do you do it?

GAMES:
Has Firepower or Alien Mind been released yet?  I would really like to
hear about these games.  Or is there a Computer Games list somewhere
around?

|              Dave Seah --- Worcester Polytechnic Institute               |
+-----------------------------------------------+--------------------------+
| Bitnet:   DSeah@WPI.Bitnet                    |  We can't receive files! |
| Internet: DSeah%WPI.Bitnet@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU    |  EMAIL only!             |
+-----------------------------------------------+--------------------------+

akuo@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Augie Kuo) (04/16/88)

In article <8804121515.AA05003@wpi.local> DSEAH@WPI.BITNET writes:
>GEOS:
>A friend of mine has GEOS 128 for his (gasp!) Commodore 128.  It kind of
>sucks, but is pretty good for a Commodore application.  Has anybody
>purchased it yet?  I am interested in hearing how it is on the II.

As a GEOS developer, I guess if you thought the 128 version sucked, then the
Apple version may impress you just as much. However, it does support ProDOS
so it has a hierarchical file structure, but since it has about the same reso-
lution graphics as the 128 and only running at 1Mhz (vs 2 on the 128) it's
rather slow.

{
For those of you who don't know what GEOS is, it's basically a macintosh-like
operating system on the //e and //c. Unlike the Catalyst program, GEOS has num-
erous applications already on the market, 5 of them being included in the base
GEOS package (three disks total with an interrupt management card for people
without mice) - a paint program, a word processor, a spelling checker, a merge
utility, and a text grabber for other word processors. We are currently working
on porting a desktop publishing program, a spreadsheet (like EXCEL) and a data
base program which should be released by summer.
}

Of course, I think that the novice user (ie kids in school, teachers, etc.)
will find GEOS a lot easier and better than the original APPLESOFT operating
system ever was. geoWrite (a WYSIWYG word processor like MacWrite) is easier to
use and learn than APPLEWORKS, and since it can read APPLEWORKS files, there's
no reason not to use it. True, it may be slow, but I think it's advantages -
being able to "paste" in pictures from PrintShop, NewsRoom, etc., change styles
and fonts (exactly like mac fonts - not weird looking ones from MultiScribe)
"paste" text from other files - outweigh the fact that text word processors
blitz when displaying text compared to geoWrite.

Other than that, go see the program for yourself and decide whether or not
you really like it.  Looking at something like GEOS really gives you mac envy...

ARPA: akuo@cory.berkeley.edu
UUCP: {ihnp4!crash, hplabs!hp-sdd!crash}!gryphon!pnet02!akuo
INET: akuo@pnet02.CTS.COM

jetzer@studsys.mu.edu (jetzer) (04/19/88)

In article <8804121515.AA05003@wpi.local>, DSEAH@WPI.BITNET writes:
> GEOS:
> A friend of mine has GEOS 128 for his (gasp!) Commodore 128.  It kind of
> sucks, but is pretty good for a Commodore application.  Has anybody
> purchased it yet?  I am interested in hearing how it is on the II.

This information is strictly from reading an article about it, so .....

Apple GEOS only supports 4 ProDOS devices.  This may not be a problem for
everyone, but I've got 5 devices right now, and hope it add another (second
UniDisk 3.5).

The word processor's "integrated" spell checker only has 28,000 words.  This
is quite wimpy, when one considers the 80,000 dictionary in TimeOut
QuickSpell, or the 114,000 dictionary in Webster's New World Checker.

The draw program allows you to use a variety of shades, but no color.

The reviewer made some comment to the effect that it was slow and diskbased,
but downplayed this aspect.  I suspect that it will be painfully slow, unless
you use a RAMdisk (my definition of painfully slow:  AppleWorks using a 5.25"
drive).
--
Mike Jetzer
"If you can't be right, be forceful"