[comp.sys.apple] Hard Drives Summary

williamm@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Michael Williams) (04/13/88)

In article <8804120248.aa03770@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> JCKASPER@MTUS5.BITNET writes:
>From:         "John C. Kasperski    (Otherwise known as 'Jc')" <JCKASPER@MTUS5>
>Subject:      Hard Disk Summary
>
>     Well I've investigated all, or nearly all, the possible options there are
>in hooking up a hard disk to an Apple //xx computer.   I've found that there
>are basicly 4 different options that you can take.  (NOTE: This report is for
>20 megabyte drives only!)
>
>Option 1.  Apple, Sider, CMS hard disk.
>Option 2.  MegaBoard and one of their pre-built systems
>Option 3.  Buy just the MegaBoard from Perlin Electronics and buy the hard
>           hard disk, case, & power supply from someplace else.
>Option 4.  Buy an Apple II SCSI card and install a SeaGate ST225N drive
>           directly to your Apple

Okay, what about a 5th option:
A Shugart Drive with an adapter such that it can connect directly into
a standard Disk Controller card.

These adapters DO exist, for I am considering buying one, BUT I don't
know much about the Shugart drives.  Do they still exist?  If so,
how good are they, expensive, whatever.

Does anybody have any Shugart knowledge, even if on another machine?

-Remo

BTW, the adaptor is an unassembled board available for $10, and will
have less than $10 in parts (approx.).  Anybody interested, I will
give you the address,etc.

..{nbires,ncar,seismo,ihnp4}!boulder!tramp!williamm \ Bela Lugosi  riding  the
BIT: WILLIAMS%CUBLDR@VAXF.COLORADO.EDU              / Kundalini Express in ...
SNAIL: 2905 E Aurora Ave #129, Boulder CO 80303     \ (could it be?) Sunshine!
      "Aw SHPX this and SHPX that, SHPX it all SHPXing, SHPXing blat!
          She don't wanna baby 'at looks like THAT!" SeX PiStoLs

williamm@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Michael Williams) (04/20/88)

In article <5354@sigi.Colorado.EDU> williamm@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Michael Williams) writes:
>[...]
>Okay, what about a 5th option:
>A Shugart Drive with an adapter such that it can connect directly into
>a standard Disk Controller card.
>
>These adapters DO exist, for I am considering buying one, BUT I don't
>know much about the Shugart drives.  Do they still exist?  If so,
>how good are they, expensive, whatever.

Well, I think I messed up, for I am not sure that the adaptor is even for
a hard drive.  It is made to connect to an SA400L, which I am now made
to believe is a standard 5 1/4" 180KB drive.  I didn't even know that Shugart
made floppies, but it appears as if they do.
  Somebody must have unmarked (is that possible?) article #2110, for it
appeared in my unread list of comp.sys.apple, and it is basically where
I got my new information.  In it, Mark_E._Simmons.osbunorth@Xerox.com
gives discriptions of some Shugart floppies, including the SA400.
The adaptor is for the SA400L, but I assume that they are not too different.

My apologies to anybody whose hopes are now shattered, such as mine.
Oh well, sorry,
Remo