[comp.sys.apple] Extend-a-slot

DSEAH@WPI.BITNET (04/20/88)

DICKSON@HARTFORD.BITNET once grumbled about taking the //E to GS upgrade.
I think he said that his AE Ramcard (assuming it is gsRAM for the Apple //GS)
wouldn't fit in the //e case.  Then Michael WIlliams@Boulder.Colorado.EDU
suggested that a slot-extender might be used.

I know that with some high-speed devices like co-processors and disk controller
cardss can not be extended because it throws off the timing required to make
them work.  Those extra inches of wire add too much of a time lag.  I can not
remember if memory cards were one of those, but I suspect it is.  Especially for

a GS ram expansion card.

If I got any names screwed up, I'm sorry.
|              Dave Seah --- Worcester Polytechnic Institute                |
+-----------------------------------------------+---------------------------+
| Bitnet:   DSeah@WPI.Bitnet                    |  We can't receive files!  |
| Internet: DSeah%WPI.Bitnet@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU    |  EMAIL only! Apples Rock! |
+-----------------------------------------------+---------------------------+

In article <8804201542.AA05911@wpi.local> DSEAH@WPI.BITNET writes:
>DICKSON@HARTFORD.BITNET once grumbled about taking the //E to GS upgrade.
>I think he said that his AE Ramcard (assuming it is gsRAM for the Apple //GS)
>wouldn't fit in the //e case.  Then Michael WIlliams@Boulder.Colorado.EDU
>suggested that a slot-extender might be used.
I have a GS-ram in my upgraded //e, and it fits fine..OH! I just thought of
the problem! If the //e in question has the "older" type case (there's
probably a year or serial number which is the dividing line, but I know
neither), then it is TOO SMALL FOR THE GS MOTHERBOARD ITSELF...That was
my problem...They tried to charge me about $90 for the case (the new //e
case), but then we called Apple, and it was really free...So they just pu`t
it in a NEW //e-style case for free and moved whatever needed to be from
my old //e...(Like power supply, etc..)

I doubt that that is his problem though, because the motherboard itself
shouldn't've fit...He must be referring to a different AE ramcard.
	-tuu