[comp.sys.apple] Hard disks

jordan%lvvb.span@SDS.SDSC.EDU (RICH) (02/19/88)

David Whitney...

Dave,
     I realize that the computer bottlenecks the data transfer to/from the
hard disk. What I'm looking for, if any one has the info, is some numbers.
Just how fast is data transfered over the SCSI bus to/from the drive?
Thanks!
								Rich

___ Look Ma! No Included Statements! ___

Richard Jordan
SAIC Las Vegas
<jordan%lvva.span@sds.sdsc.edu>

DISCLAIMER: The stuff said above is my own stuff, not necessarily SAIC's stuff
            or the U.S. Government's stuff.

whitney@think.COM (David Whitney) (02/20/88)

In article <880219154014.22a01102@Sds.Sdsc.Edu> jordan%lvvb.span@SDS.SDSC.EDU (RICH) writes:
>       What I'm looking for, if any one has the info, is some numbers.
>Just how fast is data transfered over the SCSI bus to/from the drive?
>Thanks!
>								Rich

Well, according to the tech guy at ProAPP, their drives transfer at 5Mbit/sec.
As for other drives, well ask a tech guy at the appropriate company.

David Whitney, MIT '90                     Still learning about my Apple //GS
{the known universe}!ihnp4!think!whitney   and all of its secrets. Any and all
whitney@think.com                          technical info appreciated.
DISCLAIMER: You didn't actually believe all that, did you?

CDTAXW@IRISHMVS.BITNET ("Mark B. Johnson") (04/12/88)

I might suggest people look at the Jasmine 50 and 80 Mb drives.
For $1,349 you get a complete 80 Mb drive manufactured by Quantum.
Granted you cannot yet use the whole thing, but it should not be
too much longer of a wait before either ProDOS 16 supports larger
volumes or Apple (or probably third party developers) release
partitioning software for SCSI drives other than their own.

Mark

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (04/13/88)

In article <8804121309.aa01713@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> CDTAXW@IRISHMVS.BITNET ("Mark B. Johnson") writes:
-->I might suggest people look at the Jasmine 50 and 80 Mb drives.
-->For $1,349 you get a complete 80 Mb drive manufactured by Quantum.
-->Granted you cannot yet use the whole thing, but it should not be
-->too much longer of a wait before either ProDOS 16 supports larger
-->volumes or Apple (or probably third party developers) release
-->partitioning software for SCSI drives other than their own.
-->
-->Mark

Here is another approach - note that while _I_ dont use it, many electronic
acquaintences do:

CMS has an 80 meg drive for about $1200, including the SCSI card.  If you
chose the A2P model, it comes partitioned into 2 32 meg drivers (the largest
that prodos can handle at this time) and formatted for ProDos.  I have seen
this drive advertised under $1000 ...

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817

nelson@dad.UUCP (Paul Nelson) (04/22/88)

> CMS has an 80 meg drive for about $1200, including the SCSI card.  If you
> chose the A2P model, it comes partitioned into 2 32 meg drivers (the largest
> that prodos can handle at this time) and formatted for ProDos.  I have seen
> this drive advertised under $1000 ...

I have a CMS SD60 (60 Meg) that holds two 30 meg volumes.  I bought it at
the A.P.P.L.E Coop (Renton WA.) for $1100.  If you are a Coop member you
will also get a dividend on your purchases.  I have found it to work very
well with my GS, but have some minor irritation with it.  I would like to
leave it turned off when my kids are running their software from floppy,
but this makes PRODOS 16 hang while booting.  I would also like to be able
to scan for startup disks with the hard disk off and have the firmware skip
to slot 6 but this doesn't work either.  These problems should be able to
be fixed in the firmware on the SCSI board.  I am planning on calling CMS
to get their view of this situation.  Does anyone know what the story is
with the (CMS) SCSI firmware?

						Paul Nelson
						tikal!dad!nelson