[comp.sys.apple] GS Serial Port

DSEAH@WPI.BITNET (04/20/88)

While scrounging for information to construct a modem cable for my GS,
I flipped to the back of some standard Apple documentation only to
see a bunch of + and - signs in front of weird names for the pinout.
Can somebody tell me what they are in standard RS232 lingo?

|              Dave Seah --- Worcester Polytechnic Institute               |
+-----------------------------------------------+--------------------------+
| Bitnet:   DSeah@WPI.Bitnet                    |  We can't receive files! |
| Internet: DSeah%WPI.Bitnet@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU    |  EMAIL only!             |
+-----------------------------------------------+--------------------------+

ralphw@IUS3.IUS.CS.CMU.EDU (Ralph Hyre) (04/21/88)

GS serial pinout should be the same as the Mac.
I believe the RXD- and TXD- are connectors are more-or-less RS232
RXD and TXD signals.

					- Ralph
--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.

Internet: ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412)268-{2847,3275} CMU-{BUGS,DARK}
Amateur Packet Radio: N3FGW@W2XO, or c/o W3VC, CMU Radio Club, Pittsburgh, PA

douglas@reed.UUCP (P Douglas Reeder) (04/22/88)

STANDARD RS-232 (which no one seems to follow) calls for balanced pair
transmission (data pulses are sent out as positive pulses on the + lines
and negative on the - lines).  The signal is recieved with a differential
amplifier.  This improves transmission quality as any noise imposed is
imposed on both lines and ignored by the differential amplifier.
This setup is neccesary when you run cables on the order of 100m.  Since
microcomputer cables are seldom more than a few feet, everyone cheats on
the standard and there's seldom a problem.
    If you need transmission over longer distances than 232 can do, there are
other standards with different rquirements.

--
Doug Reeder                           USENET: ...!tektronix!reed!douglas
10 Cyclopedia Square             from BITNET: douglas@reed.UUCP

rrt@halley.UUCP (Robert Teisberg) (04/23/88)

In article <8945@reed.UUCP> douglas@reed.UUCP (P Douglas Reeder) writes:
>STANDARD RS-232 (which no one seems to follow) calls for balanced pair
>transmission (data pulses are sent out as positive pulses on the + lines
>and negative on the - lines).

I think you're describing RS-422 here.  RS-232 is an unbalanced
transmission protocol.  If you look at the RS-232 pinouts, you will see
that pin 7 is called Signal Ground (SG).  This is the return pin for ALL
signals in both directions.

Because it is unbalanced, RS-232 is limited to short cable runs at low
speeds and is vulnerable to noise.

>--
>Doug Reeder                           USENET: ...!tektronix!reed!douglas
>10 Cyclopedia Square             from BITNET: douglas@reed.UUCP
>Terminus City                     from  ARPA: tektronix!reed!douglas@berkley
>Terminus,The Foundation               Box 502 Reed College,Portland,OR 97202

Bob Teisberg @ Tandem Computers, Inc.
...!ut-sally!im4u!halley!rrt

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (04/24/88)

In article <8945@reed.UUCP> douglas@reed.UUCP (P Douglas Reeder) writes:
>STANDARD RS-232 (which no one seems to follow) calls for balanced pair
>transmission (data pulses are sent out as positive pulses on the + lines
>and negative on the - lines).  The signal is recieved with a differential
>amplifier.
> [one line deleted.  I thought I could get rid of more, but. . .]
>This setup is neccesary when you run cables on the order of 100m.  Since
>microcomputer cables are seldom more than a few feet, everyone cheats on
>the standard and there's seldom a problem.
>    If you need transmission over longer distances than 232 can do, there are
>other standards with different rquirements.
>
>--
>Doug Reeder                           USENET: ...!tektronix!reed!douglas
>10 Cyclopedia Square             from BITNET: douglas@reed.UUCP
>Terminus City                     from  ARPA: tektronix!reed!douglas@berkley
>Terminus,The Foundation               Box 502 Reed College,Portland,OR 97202

A very nice discription of rs-422, Doug!  *not* rs-232.

RS-232 is *level* sensitive.  I.e. between 2.5 and 15 volts is "true" (I
think.  I don't have my handy book here. . .), and from -2.5 to -15 V is a
"false".  It dies off much faster than rs-422.  Most micros use +/- 5V, and
so they go about 100 ft.  Or less.

between 2.5 and -2.5, it's undefined.  Realy!  Though almost all UARTs, and
hence most serial communications devices, below ~1.2V is "False".

A *REALLY* good book to get about rs-232 and 422, as well as serial
programming with UARTs and stuff (it's written in C, but the first part is a
"history" or serial communications) is:  _A Programmer GUide to Serial
Communications_ by someone.  It from Howard Sams, and costs about $24, just
like all computer books.  Get it at B.Dalton's software etc.

I suspect, Doug, that you have been tainted by all the Macs here at Reed :-)

Sean Kamath
--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET: reed!kamath@PSUVAX1.BITNET