[comp.sys.apple] Apple //c Resets

tmetro@pro-angmar.UUCP (Tom Metro) (04/20/88)

I read an article that explained how you could copy the ROM code at $D000 to
$F800 into the Bank Switched RAM on a //e. This then allowed you to modify
vectors that are at the top of the address space, such as RESET, IRQ and NMI.
I tried this on my //c. I was able to copy the ROM code, verify that I had
copied it, modify the code, and verify my modifications. The modification I
tried was to redirect the RESET vector, but it wouldn't work. I verified that
I had the Bank Switched RAM selected for read operations by looking at the
status of $C011 and $C012. The RESET still caused a normal reset and left the
//c with the ROMs selected and the RAM turned off.

Does anyone know if the hardware that controls the bank switching on a //c
gets reset with the RESET signal?
It must not on a //e for this to work...
Is the $D000-$FFFF bank switched RAM contained on the motherboard of the //e?
This article gave me the impression that it was located on a card, but maybe
that refers to an unenhanced //e.

Thanks.

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (04/26/88)

In article <8804200757.AA17542@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-angmar!tmetro@nosc.MIL writes:

> [stuff on resets on a //e]
>Does anyone know if the hardware that controls the bank switching on a //c
>gets reset with the RESET signal?
>It must not on a //e for this to work...
>Is the $D000-$FFFF bank switched RAM contained on the motherboard of the //e?
>This article gave me the impression that it was located on a card, but maybe
>that refers to an unenhanced //e.
>
>Thanks.

Well, I'm not sure about this. . . Ican dig it up, if anyone cares.
BUT:  on a //c, it "knows" that no card with ROM will be in slot 3.  On a
//e, this is not the case.  From what I recall, you *may* be able to do what
you want on a //e, maybe when I log off I'll try it.  BUT:  Not on a //c.
Since the //c generally has a fixed set of slots, it's interrupts are
vectored straight tothe 80 column firmware.  Note that on a //e, having the
80column card does not mean anything in the way of the firmware.  The
firmware is on the motherboard.

Unfortunately, I cannot give a very good discription of the interrupts on
the //e right now.  I left my ref.  manual at the ski cabin, and haven' been
able to go there for two months. . . I've made do with the //c one, but it
is different in a few respects, and this is one of them. . .

Sean Kamath

--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET: reed!kamath@PSUVAX1.BITNET