[comp.sys.apple] GIF format!!!

MARK@ISIS.MIT.EDU (Mark Kriegsman / MIT VAX Resource Center) (04/22/88)

If some nice person who has internet access (you must, since you are
reading this) and Compu$erve access (you might, since you use computers
sometimes) could

GET A GIF-FORMAT READER FOR THE APPLE //'S AND POST IT HERE

that would be nice, too.

If there isn't one, I'd be happy to assembly-code one, if someone
could mail me the specs.  (also from Compu$erve...they 'own' GIF).

Mark Kriegsman
MARK%ISIS@MITVMA (.MIT.EDU if necessary)
Renaissance Project

>If some nice person who has internet access (you must, since you are
>reading this) and Compu$erve access (you might, since you use computers
>sometimes) could
>
>GET A GIF-FORMAT READER FOR THE APPLE //'S AND POST IT HERE
>
>that would be nice, too.
>
>If there isn't one, I'd be happy to assembly-code one, if someone
>could mail me the specs.  (also from Compu$erve...they 'own' GIF).

If Compu$serv 'owns' GIF, then (alas) it is their copyright, and I
believe it is their policy that subscribers DO NOT have the right to
reproduce and distribute Compu$erve copyright software (even though
the fee paid Compu$erve to use their service is the only "charge" for
obtaining a copy of the program directly from the service.

In short, posting GIF to either comp.binaries.apple2 or APPLE2-L would
be a copyright violation.  Whatever your position on the matter of
"fair use," blatant violation of copyright in public is a no-no.

---------------------
Disclaimer: The "look and feel" of this message is exclusively MINE!

ARPA:   sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu       Murphy A. Sewall
BITNET: SEWALL@UCONNVM                          School of Business Admin.
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL  University of Connecticut

barry@eos.UUCP (Kenn Barry) (04/23/88)

In article <8804221401.aa03514@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (Murph Sewall) writes:

|>GET A GIF-FORMAT READER FOR THE APPLE //'S AND POST IT HERE
|
|If Compu$serv 'owns' GIF, then (alas) it is their copyright, and I
|believe it is their policy that subscribers DO NOT have the right to
|reproduce and distribute Compu$erve copyright software (even though
|the fee paid Compu$erve to use their service is the only "charge" for
|obtaining a copy of the program directly from the service.

	The GIF utilities I got from Compu$erve (Amiga versions) are
described in their docs as "freely reditributable". You're right in
theory, no doubt, but I don't think Compu$erve is trying to restrict
these programs.

						Kayembee

taro@uhccux.UUCP (Taro Nobusawa) (04/24/88)

In article <8804221401.aa03514@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (Murph Sewall) writes:

>>If some nice person who has internet access (you must, since you are
>>reading this) and Compu$erve access (you might, since you use computers
>>sometimes) could
>>
>>GET A GIF-FORMAT READER FOR THE APPLE //'S AND POST IT HERE
>>
>>that would be nice, too.
>
>If Compu$serv 'owns' GIF, then (alas) it is their copyright, and I
>believe it is their policy that subscribers DO NOT have the right to
>reproduce and distribute Compu$erve copyright software (even though
>the fee paid Compu$erve to use their service is the only "charge" for
>obtaining a copy of the program directly from the service.

True they own the copywrite, but in the docs (for the II+/e/c version)
it says that permission is granted to upload to other BBS's on the condition
that it's not done for commercial purposes, so shall I try sending it to
Apple 2-L?  What kind of format is used?  Executioner?  BinaryII?  If
someone hasn't already uploaded it, I'll be willing to try.  (BTW, the
apple binaries news group just got marked as a bogus newsgroup at our site
and we no longer receive it)

(I also have SHRCONVERT for the GS which is very nice for GS owners, I'll
have to check the distibution policy on it.  If I remember right, the
version I got from CIS, version 2.0, is shareware.  Well worth the price,
since in addition to GIF it does RLE, Mac, Atari ST, standard and
double hi-res conversion to GS super-hi-res formats.)

--
"Mad as a hen wetter...goodbye and good day.   THPPT" -Opus
Taro Nobusawa  		taro@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

ggh@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Gregory Huey) (04/24/88)

You guys must not read Rec.arts.startrek and Comp.sys.amiga.
We've been going crazy over the amount of GIF stuff being posted.
One helpful file posted was a GIF.Doc file, describing the format
of a GIF file so someone could write a decoder to view GIFs on the
// series.

>True they own the copywrite, but in the docs (for the II+/e/c version)
>it says that permission is granted to upload to other BBS's on the condition
>that it's not done for commercial purposes, so shall I try sending it to
>Apple 2-L?  What kind of format is used?  Executioner?  BinaryII?  If
>someone hasn't already uploaded it, I'll be willing to try.  (BTW, the
>apple binaries news group just got marked as a bogus newsgroup at our site
>and we no longer receive it)
>
>(I also have SHRCONVERT for the GS which is very nice for GS owners, I'll
>have to check the distibution policy on it.  If I remember right, the
>version I got from CIS, version 2.0, is shareware.  Well worth the price,
>since in addition to GIF it does RLE, Mac, Atari ST, standard and
>double hi-res conversion to GS super-hi-res formats.)

APPLE2-L accepts EXECUTIONER 4bit format. Probably the best idea is squeeze
the docs, put program & docs into a BNY file and EXECUTIONER the BNY file
(assuming that the end result is under 40K or so; otherwise send docs
separately).

...!ihnp4!psuvax1!BROWNVM.BITNET!APPLE2-L

I don't own a IIgs, but I think SHRCONVERT already exists in APPLE2-L's
archives (Grant? Bill? <someone else who owns a IIgs and subscribes to
APPLE2-L>?).

---------------------
Disclaimer: The "look and feel" of this message is exclusively MINE!

ARPA:   sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu       Murphy A. Sewall
BITNET: SEWALL@UCONNVM                          School of Business Admin.
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL  University of Connecticut

mmccann@hubcap.UUCP (Mike McCann) (04/26/88)

I may be totally mistaken but I dont think Compuserve intended for their
copyright on the GIF format to keep anyone from using it (as long as the
use was non-commercial, why should they mind).  If more people use the
GIF format then more people will want to sell graphics stored in the GIF
format (more money for CompuServe).  I feel that the distribution of GIF
formatted graphics (as long as the graphics are distributed freely and
not sold) is perfectly LEGAL.  Am I right in this assumption?

--
Mike McCann              Internet = mmccann@hubcap.clemson.edu
Clemson University           UUCP = hubcap!mmccann