[comp.sys.apple] errors under prodos

SASQUATCH@ALBION.BITNET (04/24/88)

Whenever I exit from Kermit 3.82 after hanging up the modem and leaving
Kermit with the "exit" command and then issue "bye" to get to prodos,
the system responds with

INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND RESTART - ERR 01

Anyone know what this is, where it comes from, why it happens, etc?  I can't
find it anywhere, including _Beneath_Apple_ProDOS_.  I've also seen the same
message (under different circumstances) except with ERR 02.  Anyone know any-
thing about this?

Also, sometimes when I run WordPerfect 2.0 GS from Prosel, I get a

TOOL ABSENT OR INCOMPATABLE - $1401

or something to that effect.  I know this is incorrect, because I always boot
from my /aerom disk (a rom disk created using a RamKeeper - a very nice product,
   by the way) and this error only appears occasionally.  What's going on here?

These errors are more irritation than debilitating, but I don't think they
should occur, nevertheless.  I haven't been able to track them down by myself.

Any help will be appreciated.

E-mail to me, and I'll post a summary.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin Lepard
Bitnet:  SASQUATCH@ALBION

jetzer@studsys.mu.edu (jetzer) (04/26/88)

In article <8804241436.aa25531@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA>, SASQUATCH@ALBION.BITNET writes:

> Whenever I exit from Kermit 3.82 after hanging up the modem and leaving
> Kermit with the "exit" command and then issue "bye" to get to prodos,
> the system responds with

> INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND RESTART - ERR 01

> Anyone know what this is, where it comes from, why it happens, etc?  I can't
> find it anywhere, including _Beneath_Apple_ProDOS_.  I've also seen the same
> message (under different circumstances) except with ERR 02.  Anyone know any-
> thing about this?

I believe that this is an unclaimed interrupt error, but I can't find
anything to support this.  The closest thing I can refer you to is the
AApple ProDOS 8Technical reference manual, where, under the heading
"system failures," it lists an unclaimed interrupt as a cause.

This is also supported by the fact that your serial card on the modem is
*probably* generating interrupts for the modem program (although I have
no idea how Kermit in particular works).
--
Mike Jetzer
"Hack first, ask questions later."

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (04/26/88)

In article <8804241436.aa25531@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> SASQUATCH@ALBION.BITNET writes:

>Whenever I exit from Kermit 3.82 after hanging up the modem and leaving
>Kermit with the "exit" command and then issue "bye" to get to prodos,
>the system responds with
>
>INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND RESTART - ERR 01
>
>Kevin Lepard

I'm posting because I think people should know about this. . . And maybe
I'll beat the 20 people who are gonna post the answer to this one :-)

I'ts an unclaimed interrupt.  It means that and interrupt was generated, but
no software routine wants to use it.  DOS 3.3 tosses them, but ProDOS dies a
horrible lingering death.  Well. . .

I wonder if Kermit is turning them off when it exits. . .  Or if it's just
not waiting long enough after hanging up. . .

Try hanging up, waiting a minute to make sure it's on hook, then exiting. . .

Sean kamath

--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET: reed!kamath@PSUVAX1.BITNET

buyse@convexe.UUCP (04/26/88)

Confirmed.  Prodos fatal error #01 is for unclaimed interrupts.

(I had my share when I omitted to make the MLI call to install my
interrupt handler..)

-Russell Buyse.
UUCP: {allegra,ihnp4,uiucdcs,ctvax}!convex!buyse