[comp.sys.apple] Fractals

tsouth@pro-pac.cts.COM (Todd South) (02/22/88)

Can anyone tell me the name of any software/books that teach or experiment
with the concept of fractals?  I would sincerely like to learn more about this
an hopefully incorporate it into some on-the-fly animation programs,
eventually, that I am developing for my war-games club.. Thanks for any
info...

Todd South

 :-----------------------------------------------------------------------:
 | Todd South : Ewa Beach, HI ||| Pacific Proline: (808) 499-2831 2400bd |
 | Uucp: {nosc, ihnp4, cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd}                   |
 |                 ...!crash!pnet01!pro-simasd!pro-pac!tsouth            |
 | ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-simasd!pro-pac!tsouth@nosc.MIL                 |
 | INET: tsouth@pro-pac.CTS.COM                                          |
 :-----------------------------------------------------------------------:

mdelama1@ORION.CF.UCI.EDU (Michael De La Maza) (02/23/88)

Someone asked for a program that creates fractals on an Apple //. You
can get one for $3 by writing to me: Michael de la Maza, 10 Tumbleweed,
Irvine, Ca 92715.
As for creating fractals on the fly -- dream on.  My program takes
**hours** to create a full-screen fractal.  Maybe i'm just a
terrible programmer.

STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (02/25/88)

  Sintar Software advertises a program called FractalMagic for the Apple II,
Mac and IBM for $25.  I have no idea how good it is, although Jerry Pournelle
gave it a plug.  They can be contacted at 206 455 4130 -- they take charge
cards.  Address is PO Box 3746, Bellevue, WA 98009.

ARPA:   stein%uconnvm.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu       Alan H. Stein
BITNET: STEIN@UCONNVM                          University of Connecticut
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!STEIN        at Waterbury
CompuServe: 71545,1500  Genie:  ah.stein       Department of Mathematics

s4g@psueclb.BITNET (02/29/88)

Can someone send me a program for the //e that will make some fractals?

                Thanks,
                Steve S. Glantz
                S4G@psuecl.bitnet

mkao@crash.cts.com (Mike Kao) (03/02/88)

I'm a complete novice as far as graphic technology goes. Can someone please
explain to me what fractals ARE?

--

To insure my reception of any replies, please respond via e-mail. Thanks!

                                                                  -- Mike Kao

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!mkao
ARPA: crash!pnet01!mkao@nosc.mil
INET: mkao@pnet01.CTS.COM

wa@mitre-bedford.arpa (03/14/88)

Mike --
	Check out the Aug 87 BYTE, pp 123-132, "Creating Fractals", for an
article and brief bibliography on fractals.

Bill Amory

LMB7421@RITVAX.BITNET (03/26/88)

>From:  BITNET%"FCTY7023@RYERSON"      "Peter Barta" 24-MAR-1988 18:04
>I have an ordinary, 64k Apple II+. Is there some way for me to use your
>SLOW fractals program ? It looks very intrigueing! Is the Nibble utility
>that you refer to (& for super-high res) available for the II+ or must one
>have a GS or something in between? Can you suggest a book or article I
>could look up the theory in?

Replace all of the &commands with the standard hi-res plot commands.(use
HGR2, not HGR)
Change the line which says CL=K-INT(K/15)*15+1 to read CL = INT(K/2)*4+3
(I may have changed it so that there's a Palette size where the 15's are -
I can't remember..., if so, change the line to read as above anyway)
Change the number of colors to be, say, 100 or less (to make up for the
lack of speed).
Change the MaxX and MaxY to 279,191 (these are currently set to 319,199).
Change the FOR-NEXT loop counters as well (if they aren't set with MaxX,
MaxY).
This should make a black-white Mandelbrot on Hi-res page two...

Please pardon the vagueness of this reply, as I don't have the version
I sent out in fromt of me...Basic overview:  if you want to change
this to work on anything else (the program is very general) all you
have to do is

a) change the graphics commands
b) change the MaxX and MaxY (these are the screen dimensions - 1)
   the two lines that use this are : DX, DY calculation (divide by
   MaxX,MaxY), and the FOR-NEXT loops
c) change the color scheme (this is the change from CL=... to the
   new one.  It is needed when a change in palette arrangement or
   number of colors occurs)
d) change the number of colors simulated to account for the speed
   of the machine.

Hope this helps...good luck.

Les Barstow "Phoenix"
LMB7421@RITVAX.BITNET
..rutgers!rochester!ritcv!ultb!lmb7421.UUCP
292 Kimball Dr. Rochester, NY 14623

* The above are my own opinions and thoughts...subject to change without  *
* notice, and as constant as the wind.  Do not try to confuse me with the *
* facts, and don't expose me to reality...my fantasies are good enough... *

laba-4an@web4d.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (04/30/88)

While Mandelbrot sets are sort of interesting to look at, fractal mountain
generators have always seemed a bit more exciting.  Has anyone out there
come up with such a program (either II or IIgs)?

Please don't give lists of interesting books... I've been through
comp.graphics already.

--
laba-4an@widow.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)