[comp.sys.apple] 256K on Transwarp

tsang@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Tsang) (04/25/88)

In article <8804240141.AA12784@wpi.local> MPENDER@WPI.BITNET writes:
>I don't suppose some friendly person out there has patches for
>appleworks to make it work with a Transwarp card at the full 256K, or even
>128K for appleworks and 128K ramdrive.  Patches or a driver for prodos
>to make it work like a 256K ramdisk?
>
>Does AE have them?

Hah!!!  As far as I've been able to find, there is NO WAY to access the
other 128k of the Transwarp card.  Some of my friends and associates figure
that there is 256k on the board for two reasons only:

a) 8 256k chips take less room than 16 64k chips.
b) They can claim 256K onboard (physically correct).

I have never seen ANYTHING that uses the other 128k; I'm not even sure it's
mapped or hardware-connected!

Of course, I could be wrong...

   Donald Tsang
   tsang@cory.Berkeley.EDU

jetzer@studsys.mu.edu (jetzer) (04/25/88)

In article <2685@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu>, tsang@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Tsang) writes:
> In article <8804240141.AA12784@wpi.local> MPENDER@WPI.BITNET writes:
> >I don't suppose some friendly person out there has patches for
> >appleworks to make it work with a Transwarp card at the full 256K, or even
> >128K for appleworks and 128K ramdrive.  Patches or a driver for prodos
> >to make it work like a 256K ramdisk?

> >Does AE have them?

> Hah!!!  As far as I've been able to find, there is NO WAY to access the
> other 128k of the Transwarp card.  Some of my friends and associates figure
> that there is 256k on the board for two reasons only:

> a) 8 256k chips take less room than 16 64k chips.
> b) They can claim 256K onboard (physically correct).

My understanding concerning the 256K on board is that (at least at the time,
don't know about now :-(  ) it was cheaper to put 1 set of 256K RAMs
on the card than it was to put two sets of 64Ks.  Of course, the
one-set-of-chips-takes-less-room-than-two-sets factor may have figured into
their cost analysis.

The only way that I know that you can use any of the memory on the card is
if you have an Apple ][+ and put it in slot 0.

(I read several reviews, as well as the owner's manual of the Transwarp,
since I was considering buying it.  Decided on the Zip Chip instead.  If
it would ever get here . . . )

--
Mike Jetzer
"Hack first, ask questions later."

buyse@convexe.UUCP (04/25/88)

16K of the upper 128K of the Transwarp is used to copy in the Apple ROMs.
That way your Applesoft will run at full speed, too.  As for the rest of
the RAM, I agree that I have not found a way to get to it.

-Russell Buyse.
UUCP: {allegra,ihnp4,uiucdcs,ctvax}!convex!buyse

jetzer@studsys.mu.edu (jetzer) (04/26/88)

In article <2685@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu>, tsang@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Tsang) writes:
> In article <8804240141.AA12784@wpi.local> MPENDER@WPI.BITNET writes:
> >I don't suppose some friendly person out there has patches for
> >appleworks to make it work with a Transwarp card at the full 256K, or even
> >128K for appleworks and 128K ramdrive.  Patches or a driver for prodos
> >to make it work like a 256K ramdisk?
> >
> >Does AE have them?
>
> Hah!!!  As far as I've been able to find, there is NO WAY to access the
> other 128k of the Transwarp card.

Hmmm ... this may contradict something I posted earlier, but ...

I was looking through an old copy of Open Apple (Vol 2, No 11), and there
was a letter in this issue that said that it *was* possible to access this
memory.  It seems that before the days of //e's and aux slot cards, there
was another memory expansion method, that of multiple 16K language cards
(similar to the RamWorks-style multiple 64K banks), and there exists some
software, including RAMdisk emulation software, that accesses it.  If you
possess this sort of software, it should work, according to the letter.

Additionally if you're running your Transwarp on a ][+, this letter suggests
that you should be able to use software that will make a RAMdisk out of the
extended 80-col software (since the Transwarp contains the circuitry to
emulate the extended-80 card when used on a //e).

This letter didn't give any specifics, but this information may be of use.

--

maddie@crash.cts.com (Tom Schenck) (05/01/88)

In article <64800046@convexe> buyse@convexe.UUCP writes:

>16K of the upper 128K of the Transwarp is used to copy in the Apple ROMs.
>That way your Applesoft will run at full speed, too.  As for the rest of
>the RAM, I agree that I have not found a way to get to it.
>
>-Russell Buyse.
>UUCP: {allegra,ihnp4,uiucdcs,ctvax}!convex!buyse

 Well, first of all, I belive that the Transwarp is addressed in the same wa
 as the RamFactor boards, you just have 256k to work with. This might just be
 when it is disabled, however, and I have not have much of a chance to play
 with the Transwarp other than a two-week trial (in which it performed quite
 well).
 Secondly, the Apple ROMS take only 12k. D000-FFFF accounts for only 12k of
 memory. The extra 4k of the 16k RAM cards is bankswitched in at D000-DFFF.
 There MIGHT be a reserved section from C000-CFFF on the transwarp, because
 this section is used for addressing space for the 7 usable slots on the Apple

--
  He's a cool and extreemly funny guy, especially if you laugh at any little
  thing that me might say, no matter how funny it might be, but you'll laugh