[comp.sys.apple] APW C, anyone?

laba-4an@web4d.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (04/26/88)

Anybody out there with a good C compiler want to try a few translations?

I have the source for UNIX compress (recently released; you may have to
deal with copyright considerations if you want to distribute...)

The source for Jove is now on comp.sources.unix (in 21 parts...)

With a few modifications, these could be useful (compare UNIX "pack" and
"compact", which use Huffman encoding like sq3 and usq2, with UNIX
compress, which uses some bizarre algorithm).

I asked this once before... does anybody know of a stand-alone //gs C
compiler?  I don't even care if it supports every toolbox call known to
mankind; I just want something that will compile into native 65816 code.
If I want to use the toolbox I'll buy a //gs BASIC...

And, on a related topic, has anybody located a GIF converter for the //gs?
In theory, it shouldn't be too hard... it uses the same red, green, and
blue levels that the screen does.  Headers and footers spell everything
out clearly.  Now if I had that C compiler...

--
laba-4an@widow.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)

"Warning: if you copy this, the FBI will be very upset.  Violators will be
shot.  Survivors will be shot again."

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (04/26/88)

1. SHRCONVERT is a IIgs program which converts MacPaint, GIF, numerous Atari
and Amiga(?) picture formats into IIgs format.  It is shareware from Jason
Harper - a sysop over on CIS - Maug(tm) AppleTwo forum.

2. Only 1 C compiler still available for the IIgs and you have to have either
the Orca/M - GS or APW shell to run it under.  Only available via APDA.

3. Compress already ported to the IIgs (thanks to a ssuggestion from me to
someone I know with a APW C compiler).  Unfortunately it is over on CIS and
I havent gotten it or executioner yet <blush>.  My friend was also wanting
to convert MicroEmacs 3.9 to the IIgs.  His problem the last that I talked
to him was that he needed an unshar that would run on the Apple IIgs.  Anyone
have some source code out there for an unshar that doesnt need a shell, sed,
cat or some of the other unix commands that must unshars need?

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817

rogers@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Bob Rogers) (04/29/88)

In article <529@n8emr.UUCP> lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:
>3. Compress already ported to the IIgs (thanks to a ssuggestion from me to
>someone I know with a APW C compiler).  Unfortunately it is over on CIS and
>I havent gotten it or executioner yet <blush>.  My friend was also wanting
>to convert MicroEmacs 3.9 to the IIgs.

How suitable is the APW C compiler (and the GS itself) for these kinds of
projects?  Can you indeed do "UNIXish" stuff on a IIGS?

--

Bob Rogers					        rogers@StPaul.NCR.COM
NCR Comten, St. Paul, MN

arenberg@trwrb.UUCP (Jeff Arenberg) (05/03/88)

In article <670@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM> rogers@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Bob Rogers) writes:
>In article <529@n8emr.UUCP> lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:
>>3. Compress already ported to the IIgs (thanks to a ssuggestion from me to
>>someone I know with a APW C compiler).  Unfortunately it is over on CIS and
>>I havent gotten it or executioner yet <blush>.  My friend was also wanting
>>to convert MicroEmacs 3.9 to the IIgs.
>
>How suitable is the APW C compiler (and the GS itself) for these kinds of
>projects?  Can you indeed do "UNIXish" stuff on a IIGS?
>
>--
>

>Bob Rogers					        rogers@StPaul.NCR.COM
>NCR Comten, St. Paul, MN

First, to Larry: If you can find the time, please post the Compress code
to comp.binaries.

Second, to Bob: Yes the APW C has a more or less complete Unix library as
far as file calls (open,creat,fopen, etc), memory allocation (malloc,
calloc) and printing (printf, scanf, etc) are concerned.  The libraries
implement GS toolbox calls to prodos, the memory manager and text manager.
If you use the libraries, though, the code has to run in native mode and
stdin, stdout and stderr require running under the APW shell, so it will not
be portable to any other Apple II other than the GS.

The time required to load the compiler and to link can be quite long even
for extremely short programs and with a hard disk, so using APW C requires
a lot of patiences or a very large ramdisk (2 meg total memory or so).

Jeff Arenberg
UUCP : ( ucbvax, ihnp4, uscvax ) !trwrb!trwcsed!arenberg
ARPA : jarenberg@ecla.usc.edu
GEnie: shifty

wombat@nuchat.UUCP (Scott Lindsey) (05/03/88)

From article <670@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM>, by rogers@ncrcce.UUCP:
> How suitable is the APW C compiler (and the GS itself) for these kinds of
> projects?  Can you indeed do "UNIXish" stuff on a IIGS?

My opinion is that smallish stuff is indeed feasible (for UNIXish stuff to be
used under APW).  I have a simple version of diff and fgrep that work fine.
I've got a rogue-clone that refuses to run, and it's not the source, as I had
it running on a Mac without much hassle.  I don't know if the C compiler
itself is problematic (prob. not), or if some of the libraries supplied are.
I suspect bank dependency problems in the libraries.  Rogue is 128K+
executable and has to be broken up into 3 segments, mininum.  The two utils
I mentioned each fit into a single segment easily and thus don't run into the
problems.  I haven't had the time to investigate the problems intensively,
though.

--
 Scott Lindsey      uunet!nuchat!wombat  | These are my opinions.
 StyleWare, Inc.                         | No one else claims responsibility