[comp.sys.apple] Apple Personal Modem 300/1200

aehl@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Donald J Aehl) (05/02/88)

I am wondering if anyone can help me with this.

I know someone who want to sell an Apple Personal Modem (the wall based unit)
which runs at either 300 or 1200 baud.

I don't know much about modems but I would like to purchase one and I am
considering buying his.  He said he purchased it three years ago and has
never used it more than twice (I checked it seems to be in excellent
condition, atleast as far as I can tell).

What I would like to know is what something like this is worth?  I have been
told that $100 dollars should be the limit I should pay.  Does this sound
reasonable?  Also, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should
check thing out to make sure it really is in excellent condition?

This would be my first modem so I really have no idea what to look for or
expect.  I would plan on using ASCII Express MouseTalk with this modem
if I bought it, and I will also need to purchase an different cable to
connect it to my Apple IIgs (he had an Apple IIc).

I would really appreciate any and all advice regarding this modem or the
software package I will be using.

Thanx in advance for any assistance.

ARPA: aehl@csd4.milw.wisc.edu        USMAIL: Donald Aehl
                                             Box #204
                                             3400 N. Maryland Ave.
					     Milwaukee, WI 53201
UUCP: ihnp4!uwmcsd1!uwm-evax!aehl    ICBM:   43 4 58 N / 87 55 52 W

erict@pnet01.cts.COM (Eric Taneda) (05/02/88)

I would say $100 is a good price for that modem since it costs over $400
retail when new.  I don't have it myself, but I understand that it is pretty
good.  You should have no problems using it with Mouse Talk, since it's close
to, if not 100% Hayes compatible.  But if you want speed, you can find a cheap
2400 baud modem for around $150 new (and takes up extra desktop space).

UUCP: {cbosgd hplabs!hp-sdd sdcsvax nosc}!crash!pnet01!erict
ARPA: crash!pnet01!erict@nosc.mil
INET: erict@pnet01.cts.com

tsouth@pro-pac.cts.COM (System Administrator) (05/03/88)

aehl@uwm-evax (Donald Aehl) writes:

> I want to purchase an Apple Personal Modem...

        When I first bought a 1200 baud modem, I thought this would be the
deal.  Unfortunately, four days after I hooked it up, it died.  Then, my
dealer sent it off to Apple to fix (which was wrong in my opinion since I had
had it less than a week and WANTED a replacement!) and Apple only took a
*short* three and a half months to fix it and send it back.  After that I
had no problems with it until I tried to sell it to someone.  It seems that
there are two versions of this modem, and I had the older one.  It only worked
with the Apple SSC for some unknown reason, and it was tested on every Apple
][ family computer there is, so I did validate this fact.  The newer ones will
work with all Apple ][ systems.  If I were you, I would certainly want to test
drive it on YOUR computer configuration before purchasing it.  Also, you
don;t really want to pay more than $100, which is what the average non-error
correction modems (like the Personal) are really selling for.  Of course,
Apple still thinks they can sell a lot of these modems at $300-$400 depending
upon the dealer.  The sad thing is it is usually the first time modemer with
no associates to talk to that get sucked into paying so much for an average
modem with no frills at all (Doesn't even have LED's!).

Todd South

--
UUCP: {nosc, ihnp4, cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun!ihnp4}
                           ...!crash!pnet01!pro-simasd!pro-pac!tsouth

whitney@think.COM (David Whitney) (05/03/88)

In article <8805022216.AA28132@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-simasd!pro-pac!tsouth@nosc.mil writes:
>aehl@uwm-evax (Donald Aehl) writes:
>
>> I want to purchase an Apple Personal Modem...
>
>        When I first bought a 1200 baud modem, I thought this would be the
>deal.  Unfortunately, four days after I hooked it up, it died.  Then, my
>dealer sent it off to Apple to fix (which was wrong in my opinion since I had
>had it less than a week and WANTED a replacement!) and Apple only took a

I got my Personal modem at a Mac show that was here in Boston (Sometime
in 1985. It to croaked within days of purchase. The dealer didn't exchange
it on the spot (like I would have preferred) but did do a motherboard swap
with its guts. Took a few days. Since then, no probs.

I believe I have an "old" version, as the guy across the hall has one, and
his power-up beep has a higher pitch and doesn't last as long as mine.

A word of warning: the Personal Modem has an annoying mis-feature. As you leave
it plugged in long enough, the little power supply coil gets very warm and its
base-plate starts to warp (not a permanent thing). Anyway, after it has warped
enough, the coil starts to vibrate at 60Hz. Mine was particularly loud. I now
have the thing plugged into a wall outlet (as opposed to a power strip) and
also have several holes drilled in its case for ventilation. Consider this if
you plan to have the modem in the same room you sleep in.

David Whitney, MIT '90                     Still learning about my Apple //GS
{the known universe}!ihnp4!think!whitney   and all of its secrets. Any and all
whitney@think.com                          technical info appreciated.
DISCLAIMER: If they only knew what I was doing and saying here...