[comp.sys.apple] GS Programs. . . Please!

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (05/03/88)

Hello, line eater. . .

OK, folks, here's what bugging me tonight.  See, I keep pretty much a
complete archive of everything for the Apple I get.  I am right now in the
process of sorting and tarring to tape those very same programs, which are
eating up more tahn 2 megs, already compressed and stripped.

So:

Folks, can you do me a *BIG* favour?  I sort my mail on Subject: lines.  If
I get something cryptic like "analog clock" or the like on the line and
nothing else, I have no choice but to bash it to my apple programs, or read
it completely to see if I can guess if it's an NDA for the GS or something.
This may seem trivial to you, but I have a *LOT* of stuff I've been digging
through.  A LOT.  And I'd *REALLY* like it if on sources/binaries (meaning
things that come out of the server or that go to comp.binaries.apple2)
people would put a subject like this:

Subject: GS: super dooper thingie no ][er  will ever ever got to see.

also, though not as important, would be keywords such as "Sound:" and
"Superhighres" or what have you.  Also, can we specify version numbers on
the subject line?

I;m sorry if I'm sounding rude, but I was real sick this morning round
4:30am, and I'm just not in the mood.  Life would be so much easier with a
concise subject line.

The following are examples from comp.binaries.apple2:

GOOD:
Subject: GS Digitized sounds 3/6
Subject: kermit 3.82 part 2/2
Subject: Phone Book and Auto Dialer (All ][s)
Subject: freewriter.doc  ALL ]['s
Subject: set time in prodos with no clock ALL ]['s
Subject: sounds 1/6  GS ONLY

these are good because they tell us what they do, what they are, and what
they work on.  Or at least give us an idea.

Maybe:
Subject: Setup for ProDOS 8 (All ][s)
Subject: BLU 2.28 execable file
Subject: Giffer picture viewer ALL ]['s
Subject: Mac files to Apple//s
Subject: Extra tracks for ProDOS disks

I say maybe because they don't say what they are.  When I first heard about
it, I had *NO IDEA* what BLU was.  Even so, it's in the maybe because it
almost in the apple vernacular, and it gives the rev number and that it's an
execable.  Most of the others are cryptic, but no too bad if you're
current.  Giffer is a .GIF reader, mac to //s implies a conversion of some
sort, though it's unclear, and extra tracks is pretty self explanitory,
though it doesn't claim to be a program or documentation.

then:
BAD:
Subject: CCPUB2.HEX
Subject: Executioner
Subject: BLU
Subject: sys beep source and hex part 1/2

CCPUP2.HEX huh? What *is* this.  I mean, I know, I read the article, but
still. . .
Executioner.  What about it?  How to use it?  Or that we should?  Or that
this is it? what does it do?
same for BLU.  WHat rev?  Speak up, boy, I can't hear you!
sys beep.  Is this the same thing as the startup sounds? Or the bell
replacement?  What?  Only on a GS?  You know, it's possible to replace the
bell on the apple //{+ec} with a digitized noise, too!

WEll, enough.  Here's sorta what I had in mind:

Subject: {GS|II|etc} {Program name} {Program version, if any} {descript.}

so we might see something like:

Subject: GS: SYS.BEEP (1.2) (Replaces system beep)
Subject: II (enhanced): BLU (2.29) (Binary Library Utilities for the //)
etc.

It'd really make it easier to store these things, and might clearify what is
what.  Let's try something like it?  Please?

Sean Kamath

Sorry this is so long, but it might make life easier.  At least I didn't go
on about what the body should contain, or how to explain how to unpack
things. . .

--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET: reed!kamath@PSUVAX1.BITNET

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (05/04/88)

Though I agree to some degree , I do want to mention one thing.  Everyone
has terms that they will not understand.  I know apple owners who have
never heard of kermit.  Others who have no idea what souces 1/6 mean
(I didnt and I HAVE a GS!).

Along the same line, here are a few more gripes from someone in hot watter
with the family after spending a whole weekend fighting with downloads:
1. When I exec executioner (which I knew about) I get something called
executioner.mod - but no note as to what the Modification was.  Could
someone elaborate?
2. When I exec George.exe, I cannot extract it using blu 2.28.
3. When I execute BLU 2.29, I got Blu 2.28 - and the author knows nothing
about a Blu 2.29.
4. When I attemp]ed to exec P8.SETUP I was unable to get it to work.
5. I have tried numerous times to get mail thru to whitney@think.com -
though our local path databasii say that you talk to rutgers, rutgers
denies this strenously.  Can you help from your end?
6. I have NEVER gotten a successful EZ Install from the Kermit 3.* software
distribution.  Could someone upload the DOS 3.3 Binary II creation and
splitting programs?  Perhaps THOSE could be used if folks still object (sigh)
to using a superious operating system.
7. Has anyone compared Executioner 4 bit against uuencode, atob, or
binhex?  Why cannot we use the 6 bit Executioner - it saves a LOT of space!

Thanks all!

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817

aehl@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Donald J Aehl) (05/04/88)

In article <9621@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> laba-4an@web3a.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Andy McFadden) writes:
>In article <537@n8emr.UUCP> lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:
>>
>>4. When I attemp]ed to exec P8.SETUP I was unable to get it to work.
>
>Try downloading it again to make sure that something didn't go wrong.

I also have had no sucess in getting this program to work.

Does anyone know what the correct disk organization would be?
I have tried putting SETUP.SYSTEM as the first system file after
PRODOS along with a few CDAs in a sub-directory called SETUPS,
Like this...

    PRODOS
    SETUP.SYSTEM
    SETUPS
      (Various CDAs)
    BASIC.SYSTEM

I have also tried simply

    SETUP.SYSTEM
    SETUPS
      (Various CDAs)
    BASI.SYSTEM

or
    SETUP.SYSTEM
    SETUPS
      (Various CDAs)
    PRODOS
    BASIC.SYSTEM

Nevertheless, I have not gotten the CDAs to load at all.  Is there something
wrong with the SYSTEM.SETUP file.  Is it supposed to be only 1 block long?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

ARPA: aehl@csd4.milw.wisc.edu        USMAIL: Donald Aehl
                                             Box #204
                                             3400 N. Maryland Ave.
					     Milwaukee, WI 53201
UUCP: ihnp4!uwmcsd1!uwm-evax!aehl    ICBM:   43 4 58 N / 87 55 52 W

laba-4an@web3a.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (05/05/88)

In article <537@n8emr.UUCP> lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:

>1. When I exec executioner (which I knew about) I get something called
>executioner.mod - but no note as to what the Modification was.  Could
>someone elaborate?

???

>2. When I exec George.exe, I cannot extract it using blu 2.28.

It DOES extract, despite the "checksum failure messages".  Don't worry about
it.

>3. When I execute BLU 2.29, I got Blu 2.28 - and the author knows nothing
>about a Blu 2.29.

There doesn't appear to be any.  I would recommend using the "older"
version... (viruses, anyone?)

>4. When I attemp]ed to exec P8.SETUP I was unable to get it to work.

Try downloading it again to make sure that something didn't go wrong.

>5. I have tried numerous times to get mail thru to whitney@think.com -
>though our local path databasii say that you talk to rutgers, rutgers
>denies this strenously.  Can you help from your end?

Any comments, sewall@uconnvm?  You seem to know more about mailers than
anybody else...

>6. I have NEVER gotten a successful EZ Install from the Kermit 3.* software
>distribution.  Could someone upload the DOS 3.3 Binary II creation and
>splitting programs?  Perhaps THOSE could be used if folks still object (sigh)
>to using a superious operating system.

I'm not sure it matters where the program is unpacked.  Just convert it
using "convert" or Copy II Plus.

>7. Has anyone compared Executioner 4 bit against uuencode, atob, or
>binhex?  Why cannot we use the 6 bit Executioner - it saves a LOT of space!

Bitnet mail gets hosed by 6 bit encoding.  Perhaps someone could explain
the [lack of] virtues for uuencode/atob.  Of course, a primary reason for
not using uuencode is that most people don't have uudecode for their
Apple, and who wants to worry about UNIX fudging their binaries?

>--
>Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
>674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817
>osu-cis!n8emr!lwv (UUCP)	osu-cis!n8emr!lwv@TUT.CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (BITNET)

laba-4an@widow.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)

"Remember, mailers are people too."

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (05/06/88)

Well, I am still waiting for someone to send me specific examples of
characters which are mangled - here is an incentive - I will append the
non-alphanumerics in the last lines of this message - please send me a
note with some info as to what problems you find!

~ tilde
` accent (back quote)
! exclamation point
@ at symbol
# pound sign
$ dollar sign
% percent sign
^ caret
& ampersand
* asterisk
(left paren
) right paren
- minus
_ underline
= equals
+ plus
{ left brace (squiggly)
} right brace
[ left bracket (square)
] right bracket
; semicolon
: colon
' single quote
" double quote
\ back slash
| or/pipe sign/bar
< less than
> greater than
, comma
. period
/ slash/divide
? question mark

--

spike@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Spike) (05/06/88)

In article <5736@uwmcsd1.UUCP> aehl@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Donald J Aehl) writes:
<In article <9621@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> laba-4an@web3a.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Andy McFadden) writes:
<>In article <537@n8emr.UUCP> lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:
<>>
<>>4. When I attemp]ed to exec P8.SETUP I was unable to get it to work.
<>
<
<Does anyone know what the correct disk organization would be?
<I have tried putting SETUP.SYSTEM as the first system file after
<PRODOS along with a few CDAs in a sub-directory called SETUPS,
<Like this...
<
<    PRODOS
<    SETUP.SYSTEM
<    SETUPS
<      (Various CDAs)
<    BASIC.SYSTEM

	I posted it.  I set it up as you have it there and had no
problems.  I was not, however using CDAs...  I don't have a GS but I
was under the impression you need to use a program like P8CDA to load
CDAs under ProDOS 8.

	Has anyone gotten it to work?  Or did I screw up the packing
some how?

       "You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll kiss 3 bucks goodbye."
 UUCP:	...!harvard!bu-cs!bu-it!spike  INTERNET: spike@bu-it.bu.edu
   CSNET: spike%bu-it@bu-cs   BITNET: engemnc@bostonu "VPS sucks"

>1. When I exec executioner (which I knew about) I get something called
>executioner.mod - but no note as to what the Modification was.  Could
>someone elaborate?

The original version of EXECUTIONER started each line of the 6bit
encryption with a period ('.').  Some mailer software uses a line
beginning with a period as indicating a command for the mailer.  The
result was that files that went through a gateway using such a mailer
got trashed.  Soo... someone (Grant Delaney, Morgan Davis????) got the
source code from Glen Bredon and patched it to start lines with a '#'
("sharp symbol"?) instead.  As far as I know that's the only difference
between EXECUTIONER and EXECUTIONER.MOD

>5. I have tried numerous times to get mail thru to whitney@think.com -
>though our local path databasii say that you talk to rutgers, rutgers
>denies this strenously.  Can you help from your end?

psuvax1 also says think is connected through rutgers; you DO leave off
the ".com" don't you?  ...rutgers!think!whitney  I've had no trouble at
sending mail to whitney through the edu/arpa gateways.

>6. I have NEVER gotten a successful EZ Install from the Kermit 3.* software
>distribution.  Could someone upload the DOS 3.3 Binary II creation and
>splitting programs?  Perhaps THOSE could be used if folks still object (sigh)
>to using a superious operating system.

Kermit 3.xx now uses EXECUTIONER's 4bit packing.  It works EVERY time for
me, but my system 1) doesn't add LF after CR, and 2) doesn't pad blank
lines (either will hopelessly FUBAR the EZ Install) as will adding a
pad character at the end of lines.

I have never seen a DOS 3.3 Binary II program, nor have I heard anyone
admit to having one.  The files are still binary and can't cross gateways
(or even IBM/non-IBM interfaces).

>7. Has anyone compared Executioner 4 bit against uuencode, atob, or
>binhex?  Why cannot we use the 6 bit Executioner - it saves a LOT of space!

Believe me EXECUTIONER's 6bit causes MAJOR character translation problems
on SOME systems as a result of ASCII<-->EBCDIC character conversions
(usually between edu and arpa/mil, BUT also within networks which have
mixes of IBM and non-IBM hosts).  My particular IBM system appears to
translate the entire ASCII character set (even control codes) without
missing a beat, BUT the VAX at WPI doesn't recover ASCII accurately
over bitnet and the IBM at umich.edu has trouble as well (to name only
two I KNOW have difficulty).

The other translation programs you mention are not in wide circulation
(at least I've never seen them on bitnet's IBM systems).

Disclaimer: The "look and feel" of this message is exclusively MINE!

ARPA:   sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu       Murphy A. Sewall
BITNET: SEWALL@UCONNVM                          School of Business Admin.
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL  University of Connecticut