[comp.sys.apple] Purpose of MouseText Characters

douglas@reed.UUCP (P Douglas Reeder) (05/05/88)

Inclination: 51.6239 degrees

RA-of-node: 157.2532 degrees

Eccentricity: mild

Argument-of-perigee: illogical

Computer: Apple IIc

Language: Pascal

Does anyone know the purpose of the individual mousetext characters?
Some are obvious, like the open and closed apples and checkmarks.  Others
are to make window borders.  Does anyone have an "official" list of
their intended uses, especially how to use them together?  The technical
manual lists them, but gives no specific purposes.

--
Doug Reeder                           USENET: ...!tektronix!reed!douglas
10 Cyclopedia Square             from BITNET: douglas@reed.UUCP

mw22+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Alan Wertheim) (05/07/88)

(Cleverly avoiding the original question...)

According to Beagle Bros., Apple announced that the "running man," which is
formed by printing a mousetext "F" followed by a Mousetext "G", will no longer
be supported.

Michael Wertheim
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA

Arpa: mw22@andrew.cmu.edu
Bitnet: mw22%andrew@cmccvb

jetzer@studsys.mu.edu (jetzer) (05/08/88)

In article <wWUWa7y00W0LEIMV0c@andrew.cmu.edu>, mw22+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Alan Wertheim) writes:
> (Cleverly avoiding the original question...)
>
> According to Beagle Bros., Apple announced that the "running man," which is
> formed by printing a mousetext "F" followed by a Mousetext "G", will no longer
> be supported.

(Also avoiding the original question....)

The running man has been 'out' for quite some time; as far back as the
ImageWriter //, the F and G have been replaced, respectively, with what
appears to be a dead ringer for teh mousetext M (a return-arrow symbol)
and four lines, with three bunched up at the top and one at the bottom.
These lines look like the lines running across the top of an active
window.

I'm reasonably certain that these are the mousetext symbols in the GS, and
probably in the new (keypad) //e's as well.  Although the running man
is still present on the 'memory expansion' //c's (at least on the //c my
roommate bought last summer).
--
Mike Jetzer
"Hack first, ask questions later."