[comp.sys.apple] AppleWorks and Unidisk Query

archer@hsi.UUCP (Garry Archer) (04/22/88)

Anyone out in Appleland have this type of set up (or similar):

Apple IIc (no additional RAM, just basic 128K), Apple Unidisk 3.5" 800K disk
drive (with the "Catalyst" program that supposedly comes with Unidisk) and
AppleWorks 2.0, specifically on a 3.5" disk.

I'm currently in the process of upgrading AppleWorks 1.1 to 2.0 through
Claris (for $75 .... yeah, I know, I SHOULDA done it through Apple for $50
last year :-(  ).  And since version 2.0 comes on a 3.5" disk as well as 5.25"
floppies and now I have upgraded my Copy II+ to version 8.3 and that comes with
a 3.5" disk too...  my interest in the Unidisk 800K disk drive has been piqued!

Because I can't always afford extra RAM and additional disk drives like most
people who read this group (how do you students DO IT ??? -- don't answer that!)
I've had to suffer constant disk swapping when using programs like AppleWorks.
My question is; with the set up similar to the one described above, if one
has AppleWorks' startup, program and data disks all lumped onto one 800K 3.5"
disk, then I imagine by setting up AppleWorks to look for data files in
subdirectories on the 3.5" in the Unidisk drive (the boot drive in this case)
rather than the default internal 5.25" drive on the IIc, then NO MORE
diskswapping, right?  Except for data on other disks that is.

I imagine this is all covered in the "ClarisWorks" manual, but delivery is
expected to be another 3 weeks yet.  I tried calling my local dealer, but
he doesn't have a Unidisk in stock (I bet he only orders them if a purchase
is made), so no demo is possible there.

This IS a long, drawn out question, but a short answer and possible usage
hints of the Unidisk with AppleWorks 2.0 will be GREATLY appreciated.

THANK YOU!
--

		Garry Archer Esq.		{yale, uunet, ihnp4}!hsi!archer
		Health Systems International

jetzer@studsys.mu.edu (jetzer) (04/24/88)

In article <934@hsi.UUCP>, archer@hsi.UUCP (Garry Archer) writes:
> Anyone out in Appleland have this type of set up (or similar):
>
> Apple IIc (no additional RAM, just basic 128K), Apple Unidisk 3.5" 800K disk
> drive (with the "Catalyst" program that supposedly comes with Unidisk) and
> AppleWorks 2.0, specifically on a 3.5" disk.
[ ... ]
> Because I can't always afford extra RAM and additional disk drives like most
> people who read this group (how do you students DO IT ??? -- don't answer that!)
> I've had to suffer constant disk swapping when using programs like AppleWorks.
> My question is; with the set up similar to the one described above, if one
> has AppleWorks' startup, program and data disks all lumped onto one 800K 3.5"
> disk, then I imagine by setting up AppleWorks to look for data files in
> subdirectories on the 3.5" in the Unidisk drive (the boot drive in this case)
> rather than the default internal 5.25" drive on the IIc, then NO MORE
> diskswapping, right?  Except for data on other disks that is.

Any version of AppleWorks can be put on a UniDisk and run, although only
versions 1.3 or greater will recognize it by slot and drive (have to go
through ProDOS prefix for earlier versions).

There are a number of ways to go about setting up with program/data disks:

You can put the appleworks program in one subdirectory, and the data files
in another.  This is best if you only have a few data files of relatively
small length - eventually you'll run out of room, unless you delete some
files.

You can also set up so that AppleWorks is on the 3.5" drive, and put the
data disk in your internal drive.

My roommate (who has the same setup as you do, from your description) does
a combination of the two ways -- he has AppleWorks (with spellchecker) and
several other programs on his 3.5" disk, and keeps current files on the 3.5"
disk.  After a paper is considered "old," he puts them on 5.25" flops.

Personally, my favorite way is to stuff AppleWorks and my spellchecker
(actually, most of the programs I have) into my RAMdisks (I have 2 meg,
with 1.8 of it partitioned for RAMdisks).  I do a lot of typing for other
people, and keep the files on 5.25" flops.  I have every paper that I've
written since I was a junior in high school on a 3.5" disk, although they
don't go there until the paper is old.  I keep current files on 5.25" flops.
Must be a holdover from when I only had my DuoDrive (not what I'd consider
the "good old days").

--
Mike Jetzer
"Hack first, ask questions later."

V066EDD9@UBVMSC.CC.BUFFALO.EDU (Dan Harkavy aka Komix aka Lillanthar Fartraveller of the Gatecrafter's Guild) (04/24/88)

You can set up Appleworks to look for datafiles on slot5 drive 1 which is the
unidisk 3.5   YOu will also find that the 3.5" disk can hold many files in
addition to appleworks, and therefore should have no problem with disk swapping.

Alternatively you can have the program use your internal disk drive (slot 6
drive 1) for files and still look on the boot disk for files.  again no
diskswapping, and you still have your files on the 5.25 disks that are still
more prevalent.

Also, if you use the unidisk, you might want to get any beagle brother's
software.   In addition to the nice stuff that it does with appleworks (and it
can ALL fit on a 3.5) it gives you a modified prodos with "Bird's Better Bye"
which gives you a choice of system programs when you leave a program (like
appleworks.)   I have put this modified prodos on all of my prodos disks and
it helps.

Dan Harkavy
owner of an apple //c with 640K and a unidisk 3.5 (thanx to grandma for the
money in response to your other Q)

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (05/05/88)

A Unidisk 3.5 on a //c works very nicely.  If you plan to use unenhanced
AppleWorks 2.0, you certainly will have room for quite a few data files. If
you plan to use the AppleWorks only on //c (or other machines with Apple
type memory cards, you can make a little extra room by removing, from the
**COPY** of the original software, SEG.RM (needed only on //gs) and
SEG.00 (needed only on native //e or //e with non-Apple type memory
expansion [such as Applied Engineering].

If you have a //c with the needed ROMS to run a Unidisk 3.5, you may also
have a motherboard that allows memory expansion. If so, bringing up your
memory to about 400K will allow AppleWorks 2.0 to automatically load all of
itself (except the printer module) into memory, and give you a desktop of
about 250-300K.

When/if you decide to enhance your AppleWorks, the full (present) set of
Beagle Bros. enhancements (the Timeout series [wonderful]) plus a calendar
file (and AppleWorks, of course, will largely fill a 800K disk. At this point, having
enough memory to hold AppleWorks will allow 800K data disks in a single
Unidisk 3.5 drive, with the system disk needed only for printing and access
to Timeout modules.

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca    |
  |  INTERNET:halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  BITNET:D57J@CORNELLA  D57J@CRNLVAX5|
  |  UUCP:{vax135,rochester,decvax}!cornell!batcomputer!halp                  |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601      |

V066EDD9@UBVMSC.CC.BUFFALO.EDU (Dan Harkavy aka Komix aka Lillanthar Fartraveller of the Gatecrafter's Guild) (05/09/88)

Query:   Is Seg.00 needed on an apple //c with an Applied Engineering Z-Ram?

Dan Harkavy
v066edd9@ubvms.bitnet