[comp.sys.apple] ProDOS 8 help

pbanchie@polyslo.UUCP (Peter L Banchieri) (05/10/88)

	I've begun to explore unix and UUCP from the comfort
of my own home. I was wondering if there is a way to convert
a binary file to a executable .system file. Specifically, I'm
running kermit and I'm tired of typing brun kermit from basic.
	While I'm at it, is there a way of disabling mousetext?
Sometimes when I run vi in vt100 emulation, I get mousetext
rather than inverse characters.
	Thanks in advance!

			David Hom (SLO-kid)
			c/o pbanchie@polyslo.UUCP

The new kid on the block's gotta start learning somewhere...
...!{csustan,csun,sdsu}!polyslo!pbanchie@slocs9k
csustan!polyslo!pbanchie%slocs9k@lll-lcc.ARPA

tsang@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Tsang) (05/11/88)

In article <2364@polyslo.UUCP> pbanchie@polyslo.UUCP (Peter L Banchieri) writes:

>	I've begun to explore unix and UUCP from the comfort
>of my own home. I was wondering if there is a way to convert
>a binary file to a executable .system file. Specifically, I'm
>running kermit and I'm tired of typing brun kermit from basic.

I can't help you about the SYS file conversion, but if you don't
want to type 'brun kermit', try '-kermit'.  '-' is a generic "run"
routine that works on SYS, BIN, and BAS files.

On a similar note, would somebody post a program that writes SYS
files that execute BIN files or both BASIC.SYSTEM and an accompanying
BAS file?

  Donald Tsang
  tsang@cory.Berkeley.EDU  ||  ...!ucbvax!cory!tsang

>    I've begun to explore unix and UUCP from the comfort
>of my own home. I was wondering if there is a way to convert
>a binary file to a executable .system file. Specifically, I'm
>running kermit and I'm tired of typing brun kermit from basic.

Kermit requires Applesoft for file handling.  Maybe some ProDOS wizard
knows a trick I'm not aware of, but I don't believe it's possible
to make Kermit-65 work as a SYS file.

You can, however, 1) rename KERMIT3xx to "STARTUP" and it will BRUN
as soon as BASIC.SYSTEM is invoked, or 2) make a TXT file named K
containing the line: BRUN KERMIT3xx, which can be EXEC'd from the BASIC
prompt as: -K

You do know that you don't need to type BRUN, -KERMIT3xx will do it,
how would making Kermit into a SYS file make it any easier?

>    While I'm at it, is there a way of disabling mousetext?
>Sometimes when I run vi in vt100 emulation, I get mousetext
>rather than inverse characters.

Kermit-ESC, C (return to the KERMIT-65 prompt) followed by CONNect
will do it.  Clumsy ain't it?  I thought so too; so I asked Ted to
add an Erase screen command to Kermit (K-ESC, E), which I believe
will fix the mousetext problem as well as clean up phone garbage
(I've experienced the same mousetext problem, though not recently).

That feature and (tah, tah) XModem (!) are in Version 3.83 - I just
sent a beta copy to APPLE2-L, and within a day or so, Paul Nakada will
pass it along to comp.binaries.apple2.  Watch for it in an email
box near you (if you got a version of 3.83 before 5/7/88 it doesn't
have the Erase screen command; you can check with k-ESC, ?).

---------------------
Disclaimer: The "look and feel" of this message is exclusively MINE!

ARPA:   sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu       Murphy A. Sewall
BITNET: SEWALL@UCONNVM                          School of Business Admin.
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL  University of Connecticut
Acknowledge-To: <SEWALL@UCONNVM>

crimmins@csli.STANFORD.EDU (Mark Crimmins) (05/11/88)

In article <2364@polyslo.UUCP> pbanchie@polyslo.UUCP (Peter L Banchieri) writes:

>	I've begun to explore unix and UUCP from the comfort
>of my own home. I was wondering if there is a way to convert
>a binary file to a executable .system file. Specifically, I'm
>running kermit and I'm tired of typing brun kermit from basic.

Kermit (all the versions I know about) is written so that you need to
use basic.system in PRODOS.  What you CAN do is have a STARTUP basic
program that has only the line "10 print chr$(4)"-kermit".

>	While I'm at it, is there a way of disabling mousetext?
>Sometimes when I run vi in vt100 emulation, I get mousetext
>rather than inverse characters.

I spoke to Ted Medin (who maintains the ProDOS Kermit) about this a
while ago, and he said that the bug comes up rarely enough so that
it's not worth tracking down.  I encountered it a lot when I first
started using KERMIT, but rarely see it now.  I have a feeling that
the program doesn't filter out the character that turns on mousetext
when it is printed to the video firmware.

Mark Crimmins (crimmins@csli.stanford.edu)