[comp.sys.apple] Working BBS; Usenet on Apple //

jeffj@pro-avalon.cts.COM (Jeff Jungblut) (05/16/88)

and Geva Patz writes:
>Subject: Want UUCP for Apple //
>
>Hi there,
>
>Does anyone know if there has been an implementation of the UUCP protocol for
>the Apple //. I'm trying to design a program to interface a //gs to USENET,
>and I dont fancy re-inventing the wheel much. SAource code in assembler,
>BASIC, Pasca, or C would be ideal.
>
>Geva Patz

How ironic that these two messages showed up one after the other.  ProLine BBS
($195.50 from Living Legends Software) does both.  It runs on the II+, //e,
and IIGS, requiring at least 5mb and a Hayes-compatible or AppleCat modem.

It can also send and receive mail through UUCP sites running pnet (People-Net,
a networking conference system similar to ProLine.)  There is no direct UUCP
link between the Apple and the Unix machine though.

Jeff Jungblut, a happy ProLine sysadmin
--
UUCP: [crash ucsd ihnp4] bang!pnet08!pro-avalon!jeffj
ARPA: bang!pnet08!pro-avalon!jeffj@ucsd.edu

tsouth@pro-pac.cts.COM (Todd South) (05/16/88)

In Article: <8805160036.AA06799@crash.cts.com> jeffj@pro-avalon writes:

> There is no direct UUCP link between the Apple and the Unix machine though.

> Jeff Jungblut, a happy ProLine sysadmin
> --
> UUCP: [crash ucsd ihnp4] bang!pnet08!pro-avalon!jeffj

I agree with your comments (especially since I was one of the persons that
bought Proline! :-) ), but I have wondered something for a LONG LONG TIME!

Why is there no implementation of the real news protocol on the Apple?
I have seen a number of implementations on the IBM (homebrews) but there
just seems to be no one that wants to do it for the Apple.  Basically, we
have a machine in the //gs that averages one meg, has a lot of users with
20+ megs of storage, and a real nice command set (on the 65c816).

Would anyone out there know how to get ahold of the actual UUCP transfer
protocols or netnews protocols?  C source, or anything that can be basically
read would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Todd South

--
UUCP: {nosc, ihnp4, cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun!ihnp4}
                           ...!crash!pnet01!pro-simasd!pro-pac!tsouth

Geva_Apple-Maniac_Patz@cup.portal.com (05/18/88)

Hmm...

Sounds most interesting! Tell me, though, will ProLine not work with an extern-
al modem? I can't use an internPEl, because none of them to CCITT V.21.

Also, how can I get hold of pnet?

%%%%
 Geva
  %%%%