[comp.sys.apple] TWO QUESTIONS

mhamaoka@athena.mit.edu (Michael T Hamaoka) (05/06/88)

Two questions:
-------------

   1.  Does anyone out there know how to write an assembly language random
       number routine?  Or does anyone have a disassembly of the RND command
       or the memory location where it starts?

   2.  Is there a GIF viewer for the Apple IIgs that takes advantage of
       the GS graphics?

   Thanks in advance.

         --> Mike Hamaoka (mhamaoka@athena.mit.edu)

jockc@killer.UUCP (Jock Cooper) (05/06/88)

In article <5128@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> mhamaoka@athena.mit.edu (Michael T Hamaoka) writes:
>   1.  Does anyone out there know how to write an assembly language random
>       number routine?  Or does anyone have a disassembly of the RND command
>       or the memory location where it starts?

If you are using a GS you can use the _Random toolbox call (if quickdraw has
been initialized). Also the SANE toolbox has a random function that is
described in the Apple Numerics Tech Ref Manual.  If you cannot make these
toolbox calls, it shouldn't be too hard to find a random number algorithm
somewhere and implement in assy...
If you are using a //e or //+, you might try looking at the locations that
the keyboard input routines increment while waiting for input ($46 and $47 I
think)..  This method would work only if you were using those routines for
input.  The 16-bit number contained in those locations should be relatively
random if keyboard input has taken place.  The number will change each time
you call the system keyboard input routine.

>   2.  Is there a GIF viewer for the Apple IIgs that takes advantage of
>       the GS graphics?

Yes, the program is called SHRConvert.  It is shareware and is pretty widely
available.  Loading GIFs is kind of slow but usable.  It loads/converts many
other formats as well.

jockc

ihnp4!killer!jockc

cuthbert@tramp.Colorado.EDU (CUTHBERTSON ROBERT) (05/06/88)

In article <5128@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> mhamaoka@athena.mit.edu (Michael T Hamaoka) writes:
>Two questions:
>-------------
>
>   1.  Does anyone out there know how to write an assembly language random
>       number routine?  Or does anyone have a disassembly of the RND command
>       or the memory location where it starts?
>
>   2.  Is there a GIF viewer for the Apple IIgs that takes advantage of
>       the GS graphics?
>
>         --> Mike Hamaoka (mhamaoka@athena.mit.edu)

1-- I would reccomend Don Lancaster's "true Random" routine.  If you would
like, I can type it in, or you can invest $35 for "Assembly Cookbook" (money
VERY well spent)

2-- I don't have a clue...but as long as I'm posting, let me change the subject
radically.  Could someone please post a list of X-fer protocols supported
by TIC?  I am wondering specifically if it will support BOTH XModem and
Kermit.  (YModem Batch and Kermit Batch would be nice throw-ins, but I can
live without them)

Post replies, or e-mail them.  Posting would be "Costing hundreds if not
thousands of dollars" but it would really piss me off if I  got a dozen
letters in private e-mail and no two of them agreed.  (I *HAVE* had this
happen before)

Flames?  Route it to /dev/null, buddy!
+-----                                                   /              -----+
! The Real Me : ..!{ncar.nbires}!boulder!tramp!cuthbert / Frank's a Paranoid !
!  (or, for you weenies) : cuthbert@tramp.Colorado.EDU / Schitzo. Ignore him !
+-----                                                /                 -----+

CS656@OUACCVMB.BITNET (05/13/88)

Has anyone heard of a numeric keypad for the apple //C? I've seen articles
about modifying available ones but never got past the part about "take a hot
knife to the back of the computer and ...". A friend is looking for one. What
I'd really like to have is a Function pad. I can't imagine why noone would have
built one, since it would be handy even on the machines that already had functi
on keys across the top.
Second question, I am interested in occasionally playing two person arcade
games on my //c. Does anyone know of any games that take advantage of paddles
allowing two players?
Thanks,
Bob Church  CS656@OUACCVMB

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (05/16/88)

In article <8805142310.aa21725@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> CS656@OUACCVMB.BITNET writes:
>Has anyone heard of a numeric keypad for the apple //C? I've seen articles
>about modifying available ones but never got past the part about "take a hot
>knife to the back of the computer and ...". A friend is looking for one. What
>I'd really like to have is a Function pad. I can't imagine why noone would have
>built one, since it would be handy even on the machines that already had functi
>on keys across the top.

If you are thinking that there might be a connecter to connect a keypad to,
you are ot of luck.  There is only the "cut and glue" option.  You *CAN*
jurry rig a serial keyboard that has whatever, but you then must make sure
that all your programs read from the serial port, or from wherever fded
points to.  You can probably test this with the built in keyboard buffering.

>Second question, I am interested in occasionally playing two person arcade
>games on my //c. Does anyone know of any games that take advantage of paddles
>allowing two players?

The only game to date that I know of that allows both joysticks to be used
is dogfight, which came with Diversi-Dos.

>Thanks,
>Bob Church  CS656@OUACCVMB

Sean Kamath
--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET: reed!kamath@PSUVAX1.BITNET

blume@netmbx.UUCP (Heiko Blume) (05/18/88)

In article <9340@reed.UUCP> kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) writes:
>In article <8805142310.aa21725@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> CS656@OUACCVMB.BITNET writes:
>>Second question, I am interested in occasionally playing two person arcade
>>games on my //c. Does anyone know of any games that take advantage of paddles
>>allowing two players?
>
>The only game to date that I know of that allows both joysticks to be used
>is dogfight, which came with Diversi-Dos.

there are more, i know of ballblazer which is a very fast one. recommended.
--
Heiko Blume                    # DOMAIN: blume@netmbx.UUCP { BITNET: ( mixed }
Seekorso 29                    # BANG  : ..!{backbone}!netmbx!blume

scott@geowhiz.UUCP (Scott Kempf) (05/19/88)

In article <1846@netmbx.UUCP> blume@netmbx.UUCP (Heiko Blume) writes:
>In article <9340@reed.UUCP> kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) writes:
>>In article <8805142310.aa21725@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> CS656@OUACCVMB.BITNET writes:
>>>Second question, I am interested in occasionally playing two person arcade
>>>games on my //c. Does anyone know of any games that take advantage of paddles
>>>allowing two players?
>>
>>The only game to date that I know of that allows both joysticks to be used
>>is dogfight, which came with Diversi-Dos.
>
>there are more, i know of ballblazer which is a very fast one. recommended.
Even more:
	Archon and Archon II are two players (or agains the computer).
	One on One is the same way.

Both can be play with two joysticks or a joystick and keyboard.
One on One is a very well done game.  Dr. J. vs. Larry Bird.

The Bilestoad can also be played to players.
They both play on the keyboard (no real confict in hiting keys).
The Bilestoad is great if you love to cut off peoples arms and heads
and watch the blood soak into the ground.

There is also a game called Old Iron Side.  This is two ships battling
on a river with cannons.  Lots of fun.  Also two on a keyboard.

I think Electionic Arts makes Archon (II) and One on One.

				Scott
Scott Kempf
It was long ago and it was far away and it was so much better than it is today.
UUCP:   {seismo, topaz, harvard, ihnp4}!uwvax!geowhiz!scott
ARPA:   scott%geowhiz.uucp@spool.cs.wisc.edu      PHONE:  (608) 262-6154  (work)
BITNET: scott%geowhiz.uucp%spool.cs.wisc.edu@wiscvm.bitnet