[comp.sys.apple] Apple Bulletin Board

V131Q5CG@UBVMSC.CC.BUFFALO.EDU (JT) (05/17/88)

	I heard recently, on a television program, that Apple is setting-

up an on-line system for ][ and Mac users; apparently it will be ready in

two or three months. Does anyone know anything about it?  :-)

JT
v131q5cg@ubvms (Bitnet)
v131q5cg@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu (Internet)

rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (964[jak]-Robert Halloran) (05/19/88)

In article <8805181221.aa27471@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> V131Q5CG@UBVMSC.CC.BUFFALO.EDU (JT) writes:
>	I heard recently, on a television program, that Apple is setting-
>up an on-line system for ][ and Mac users; apparently it will be ready in
>two or three months. Does anyone know anything about it?  :-)

The system will be called Apple ConsumerLink apparently, and is being run
by Quantum Computer Services in Virginia, the same folks who have the
QuantumLink service for Commod(or)e users.  Official announcement is expected
at Applefest in Boston next week.

The service will have its own software package, pull-down menu interface,
and offer the usual set of connections to airline reservations, shopping
services, a la CompU$erve, GEnie, $ource, etc..  Apple developers and management
will make occasional appearances, and a library of downloadable programs
will be offered to users.  Cost is as yet unclear; I'm only testing the
package and don't have to pay for it yet :-).

						Bob Halloran
UUCP: {ATT-ACC, rutgers}!mtune!rkh		Internet: rkh@mtune.ATT.COM
Apple Consumerlink: RobertH107			GEnie: RHALLORAN
USPS: 19 Culver Ct, Old Bridge NJ 08857		DDD: 201-251-7514 eve ET
Disclaimer: People have opinions.  Companies have policies.
	Don't confuse MY opinions with THEIR policies.
Quote: "There were incidents & accidents, there were hints & allegations"
		-- Paul Simon

>    I heard recently, on a television program, that Apple is setting-
>
>up an on-line system for ][ and Mac users; apparently it will be ready in
>
>two or three months. Does anyone know anything about it?  :-)

That's the service being set up by the same outfit that does QLink for
Commodore 64/128.  It's being done with Apple's endorsement, but don't
expect to find (find out) anything that's not already available from
Compu$erve or Genie.

QLink gets mixed reviews on the (fairly large number of) Commodore BBS's
in these parts.  They had some nice "introductory" offers, but once they
got a reasonably large, committed user community, they began to charge for
many services that had been provided as part of the basic fee.

Was the television program the Computer Chronicles (PBS) last weekend?
They did a bit on it as part of the "Random Access File" at the end.  It's
also been reported in InCider and my Vaporware column (a couple of months
ago).

---------------------
Disclaimer: The "look and feel" of this message is exclusively MINE!

ARPA:   sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu       Murphy A. Sewall
BITNET: SEWALL@UCONNVM                          School of Business Admin.
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL  University of Connecticut

forde@EGLIN-VAX.ARPA ("MAJ ERIC S. FORD") (05/20/88)

Apple Computer is in the process of beta testing a new BBS service similar to
GEnie.  I don't know many more details about it since the beta testers in my
area claim they had to swear to secrecy on the penalty of ex-telecommunication
that they would not openly discuss it.  I can post the 1-800 number for
anyone who wants to participate in the test if someone wants it.  The only
requirements are that you have an Apple, a modem (only 1200baud supported at
this time), and a mouse (yes, a mouse, it seems this BBS is into pull down
menus and a graphics interface - why does that not surprise me?).  The only
comment I was able to elicit on its performance was that after 5-10 minutes
you forget you're on line and it feels like you're just interacting with
your own system.

Eric S. Ford
FORDE@EGLIN-VAX.ARPA
------

GZT.EWW@OZ.AI.MIT.EDU (Wes Williams) (05/22/88)

(To: MAJ ERIC S. FORD)

Your path from here is nonexistant, could you please forward the Apple 1-800
# to me?

Many thxs!
-------