[comp.sys.apple] URGENT! All uucp/usenet readers alert!

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (05/22/88)

PLEASE be aware that actions are being taken at this moment in the news.groups
newsgroup to eliminate all binaries groups from the comp distribution.  It
looks like a sure thing at this point in time - what this means is that
special actions will have to be taken at every one of our sites that
we want to receive binaries at to get this group from our news feeds.

Another suggestion at this same time is to do the same thing for sources.
In this way sites can carry one without the other.  If this goes thru
someone (paul?) should contact the appropriate folks and get us a source.apple2
as well.

Thanks!

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817

cuthbert@tramp.Colorado.EDU (CUTHBERTSON ROBERT) (05/23/88)

In article <559@n8emr.UUCP> lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:

> [ notice about imminent removal of newsgroups deleted ]
>
>someone (paul?) should contact the appropriate folks and get us a source.apple2
>as well.
>
>Thanks!
>
>--
>Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)

If votes are what's needed, you can include mine.  I think comp.source.apple2
would be a great idea.

--Rob Cuthbertson

+-----                                                   /              -----+
! The Real Me : ..!{ncar.nbires}!boulder!tramp!cuthbert / Frank's a Paranoid !
!  (or, for you weenies) : cuthbert@tramp.Colorado.EDU / Schitzo. Ignore him !
+-----                                                /                 -----+

>In article <559@n8emr.UUCP> lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:
>>PLEASE be aware that actions are being taken at this moment in the news.groups
>>newsgroup to eliminate all binaries groups from the comp distribution.
>
>Well, how about posting binaries to coommp.sys.apple, or how about
>creating comp.sys.apple.binaries?

You have, no doubt, begun reading this list only recently.  comp.sys.whatever
is NOT for binaries (or sources).  The principal problem is that MANY
USENET sites pay the phone bills for receiving newsgroups and DON'T WANT
(usually LARGE) binary/source files.  Selected sites may want them, hence
the option provided by separate lists for messages/binaries/sources.

Some sites also have storage capacity constraints large enough to accommodate
almost all messages (legit message files rarely exceed 10K and most are
less than 2K).  Hexified binaries typically exceed 10K and often exceed
40K.  Kermit, for example, is divided into two files, and the larger is
57K.

There ALREADY is comp.binaries.apple2 (along with other comp.binaries...).
I take it from Larry's message, that traffic loads would be reduced by
separting binaries entirely from the comp distribution so that binaries
are not sent to sites that don't want them.  Hence, comp.whatever.binaries
is an idea that's not going to fly.

What the nets REALLY need is an archive server reachable by everyone so that
only messages describing what's there are sent to everyone and the files
themselves are only sent to users specifically requesting them.

Disclaimer: The "look and feel" of this message is exclusively MINE!

ARPA:   sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu       Murphy A. Sewall
BITNET: SEWALL@UCONNVM                          School of Business Admin.
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL  University of Connecticut