[comp.sys.apple] IIGS Drive Problem?

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (05/19/88)

Since I don't normally work with Apple II equipment, this has me stumped.
My sister and her husband - computer novices - have a new IIGS with a
5 1/4" drive and a 3 1/2" drive. The machine will boot and run from the
5 1/4", but when they try to use the 3 1/2" drive, they get a message that
says "Check Startup Device". This occurs regardless of the 3 1/2" disk,
some of which are known to be system disks.

My first response was that it sounded like something was wrong with the
drive and that they should take it to a dealer to get it checked on
another IIGS.

Does anyone out there who is experienced with the product have any other
hints or clues. As a Macintosh person I'm really out of my element on
this one!

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
UUCP: ihnp4!husc6!amcad!stech!sysop or allegra!stech!sysop
BITNET: JHARRY@BENTLEY

	Miscellaneous profundity:

		"No matter where you go, there you are."
				Buckaroo Banzai

mike@Apple.COM (Michael Lee) (05/21/88)

In article <576@stech.UUCP> sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) writes:
>Since I don't normally work with Apple II equipment, this has me stumped.
>My sister and her husband - computer novices - have a new IIGS with a
>5 1/4" drive and a 3 1/2" drive. The machine will boot and run from the
>5 1/4", but when they try to use the 3 1/2" drive, they get a message that
>says "Check Startup Device". This occurs regardless of the 3 1/2" disk,
>some of which are known to be system disks.

Check the Control Panel settings for the slot assignments.  The 3.5 drive is
usually slot 5 drive 1 and the 5.25 is slot 6 drive 1.  Set the control
panel to scan and it will start in slot 7 and work its way down until it finds
a bootable disk.  Or you can set the startup to slot 5 and it will go right
to the 3.25 drive.

The only time when this is not true is when using a Disk II in slot 6 and a
3.5 in the smart port.  The Disk II is not smart enough to pass the signal
down if it does not have a boot disk in it when the Control Panel is set to
scan.  In this case put the Disk II in slot 2 or 3 and then set the
Control Panel to scan.

If after trying to set the Contol Panel to boot from Slot 5 the problem still
is present, take the system into the dealer to check it out for you.

Michael Lee
Apple Techincal Support
Charlotte, NC

tsang@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Tsang) (05/23/88)

In article <576@stech.UUCP> sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) writes:
>Since I don't normally work with Apple II equipment, this has me stumped.
>My sister and her husband - computer novices - have a new IIGS with a
>5 1/4" drive and a 3 1/2" drive. The machine will boot and run from the
>5 1/4", but when they try to use the 3 1/2" drive, they get a message that
>says "Check Startup Device". This occurs regardless of the 3 1/2" disk,
>some of which are known to be system disks.

Sounds like they may have the drives "reversed" in the daisy chain.
To make it work, it HAS to be: Apple 3.5, then Unidisk 3.5, then your
5.25" drive(s).

It will start searching in the first(?) 5.25" drive, then the first(?) 3.5"
drive.  As someone said above, be sure the "Control Panel - Slots" is set
to boot from "Scan".

  Donald Tsang
  tsang@cory.Berkeley.EDU  ||  ...!ucbvax!cory!tsang

Ferris_D._Jennings.osbunorth@XEROX.COM (05/23/88)

Make sure you have the 3 1/2 drive the FIRST drive in the chain (I believe that
is the correct configuration). Check the users manual just to be sure. Since I
don't have the manual in front of me and its been nearly a year since I
installed my GS I can't be exactly sure of the exact config. If things are
hooked up as they should be you should be able to type PR#6 and have the 5 1/4
boot or type PR#5 and have the 3 1/2 boot.  Good luck.