[comp.sys.apple] Apple //e ROMS

tsouth@pro-pac.cts.COM (Todd South) (05/22/88)

In Article: <8805220159.aa01554@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> POLKOSNI%QCVAX.BITNET writes:

> One of the reasons I got the eproms burned from a friend rather than getting
> the upgrade kit from Apple is that I heard that Apple confiscates your old
> chips when you get the upgrade. I will try running Kermit with the old roms
> in place (something I could not do if I got the Apple upgrade).
> The burned eproms contain the same stuff as the Apple upgrade roms so I
> doubt getting the upgrade will make a difference.

> >walter<

Walter (and others),

        I purchased my enhanced ROMs fromt the local military exchange at
Travis Air Force Base, CA.  They cost $39 and came in a small 3"x4" box.
No one asked me to hand over my old chips, but then again, no dealer installed
them either and I accepted responsibility for doing just that.  If you have
access to an Exchange system which sells computers, I KNOW they can order the
upgrade for you.

Todd South

--
UUCP: {nosc, ihnp4, cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun!ihnp4}
                           ...!crash!pnet01!pro-simasd!pro-pac!tsouth

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (05/24/88)

In Article: <8805220159.aa01554@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> POLKOSNI%QCVAX.BITNET writes:

>One of the reasons I got the eproms burned from a friend rather than getting
>the upgrade kit from Apple is that I heard that Apple confiscates your old
>chips when you get the upgrade.
>
> >walter<

The Correct (both morally and legally) Thing-to-Do was to burn your old
ROM's, which you own and therefore have a right to have a copy of, and then
upgrade.  This does not mean the same thing when you sell the //e, for
example.  Apple Wanted the chips back because A) THey had their logo on
them, and B) you really don't want *your* chips showing up in hong-kong
knock-offs, because then people thing you sold them the right to use them,
and thus you have a harder time sueing them for copyright infringment.

Sean Kamath

--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET: reed!kamath@PSUVAX1.BITNET