[comp.sys.apple] Enhanced Apple //e

can@tc.fluke.COM (Curt Nelson) (05/19/88)

I often hear about an enhanced //e.  What is the difference between a
standard //e and an enhanced //e?

--

Curt A. Nelson     John Fluke Mfg. Co.     new: can@tc.fluke.COM
                       Everett, WA         old: uw-beaver!fluke!can

davidc@pyr.gatech.EDU (DAVID CARTER) (05/21/88)

In article <3815@fluke.COM> can@tc.fluke.COM (Curt Nelson) writes:

>I often hear about an enhanced //e.  What is the difference between a
>standard //e and an enhanced //e?

The "//e enhancement kit" consists of a 65C02 processor, replacement CD
and EF ROMS, and a replacement video ROM (providing "MouseText" special
characters, like open and solid Apples, and lines to draw borders around
text).

The most notable differences in the firmware ROMS are: faster 80 column
routines, much better support of interrupts, return of the mini-assembler,
and the ability to type in lower case in Applesoft and the monitor.

The kit was first released about March '85 (has it really been that long?)

Now my question: at some point, have //e's been shipped with these chips
standard?

--
David Carter
uucp: ...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!davidc

tribby@hpindda.HP.COM (David Tribby) (05/23/88)

davidc@pyr.gatech.EDU (DAVID CARTER) writes:

> The "//e enhancement kit" consists of a 65C02 processor, replacement CD
             [plus further description of the enhancement]
>Now my question: at some point, have //e's been shipped with these chips
>standard?

I bought my //e shortly after the enhancement kit was released, and it
contained all of the features included in the kit. It was about six more
months before a new Apple //e Technical Reference Manual was available
that described all of the new features.

About a year ago the //e was redesigned to include a built-in numeric
keypad, and the color was changed to platinum. I don't recall if there
were any significant internal changes.

Dave Tribby
                                   - - - - -
        ARPA: tribby%hpda@hplabs.HP.COM   UUCP: hplabs!hpda!tribby

buyse@convexc.UUCP (05/24/88)

The answer is a loud 'Yes'.  Apple IIe's since about May of 1985 have
been shipped with the enhanced ROMs installed.  There was an issue of A+
or one of those other magazines that mentioned that all of the
then-current (May '85) and future IIe's would be shipped with the
enhanced ROMs.

I purchased my IIe in August of '85, and sure enough, it came with the
enhanced ROMs.

-Russell Buyse.
UUCP: {allegra,ihnp4,uiucdcs,ctvax}!convex!buyse

erict@pnet01.cts.COM (Eric Taneda) (05/25/88)

They started using 256k RAM chips rather than the 64k chips they used to use
on the platinum //e's.

UUCP: {cbosgd hplabs!hp-sdd sdcsvax nosc}!crash!pnet01!erict
ARPA: crash!pnet01!erict@nosc.mil
INET: erict@pnet01.cts.com

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (05/27/88)

Folks, as of the introduction of the GS, the new //e's come in a platinum
case, with a 27128 ROM.  Thus, the enhancement had better be in it, as the
kit comes with two 2764's.  Also, they have a numeric keypad attached, and
they come with 128K.

Sean Kamath

--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET: reed!kamath@PSUVAX1.BITNET