[comp.sys.apple] Even more enhancement

POLKOSNI@QCVAX.BITNET (05/24/88)

Does anyone out there have a 65c802 in their Apple? I got one, and ran it
for a while, but I think there may be some problems with disk access with
it...some of my floppies have been screwed since I have had it in.
(No problem with my Sider though.) I'm not sure what could be causing the
problem since the 802 was running in 6502 emulation mode the whole time.
Also, is there a source of software for the 802? It's supposed to be
compatible with the 816 in the gs, so I was wondering if stuff can be
ported between the two. (stuff not using //gs graphics or other hardware
specific type stuff)

spike@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Spike) (05/25/88)

In article <8805240329.aa01958@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> POLKOSNI@QCVAX.BITNET writes:
>Does anyone out there have a 65c802 in their Apple? I got one, and ran it
<for a while, but I think there may be some problems with disk access with
>it...some of my floppies have been screwed since I have had it in.
<(No problem with my Sider though.) I'm not sure what could be causing the
>problem since the 802 was running in 6502 emulation mode the whole time.

	I have one in my //c and have had no problems at all with it.
I only have the built-in drive, so I can't comment on how it works with
external drives and the Unidisk.

<Also, is there a source of software for the 802? It's supposed to be
>compatible with the 816 in the gs, so I was wondering if stuff can be
<ported between the two. (stuff not using //gs graphics or other hardware
>specific type stuff)

	The only program I have seen to date that was for the 65802
but was not GS specific, is Apple.Rx, a Virus Finder from Glen Bredon.
I'm sure there will be more in the future as dropping a 65802 in your
older Apple is the, perhaps the easiest upgrade you can make.

       "You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll kiss 3 bucks goodbye."
 UUCP:	...!harvard!bu-cs!bu-it!spike  INTERNET: spike@bu-it.bu.edu
    CSNET: spike%bu-it@bu-cs   BITNET: spike%bu-it.bu.edu@bostonu

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (05/26/88)

In article <8805240329.aa01958@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> POLKOSNI@QCVAX.BITNET writes:

>Does anyone out there have a 65c802 in their Apple? I got one, and ran it
>for a while, but I think there may be some problems with disk access with
>it...some of my floppies have been screwed since I have had it in.
>(No problem with my Sider though.) I'm not sure what could be causing the
>problem since the 802 was running in 6502 emulation mode the whole time.

I have one, and I like it.  Absolutely no problems.  The timing sheet that
came with it claims 100% compatability with the opcodes, more so than the
65C02 (the 65C02 has some differences in cycles of opcodes, and handling of
undefined opcodes.).  However, note that I had a problem with a "bad" MMU
when I put in a No-Slot clock.  When I put in the 65C02, it worked, when I
put in the 806, it didn't.  WHen I put in a new MMU (Actually, swapped
computers) it worked.  So maybe I'm blaming the MMU, who cares, the point is
the the timing sheet also shows that the signals are *not identicle* to the
02 or C02.  However, I seriously doubt there is a connection.

>Also, is there a source of software for the 802? It's supposed to be
>compatible with the 816 in the gs, so I was wondering if stuff can be
>ported between the two. (stuff not using //gs graphics or other hardware
>specific type stuff)

The only one I know of that I didn't write is Merlin 816.  Also, Merlin Pro
has a full screen editor that makes use of the 802.

If you find anything besides Apple.RX, let me know.

>>walter<

Sean Kamat
--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET: reed!kamath@PSUVAX1.BITNET

mturner@convex.UUCP (05/27/88)

I have a 65802 in my apple ][e and have had no problems.
I have been using it with:

1. generic grappler printer card.
2. Ramworks I with 640K
3. Time Master H.O.
4. Disk ][ with two drives.
5. Eprom Burner from JDR MICROdevices
6. Applied research labs COPY MASTER board
7. Super serial card and 1200 baud modem

---Mike Turner
"imagination is more important than knowledge"--A. Einstein