[comp.sys.apple] modem suggestions wanted

kagst@cisunx.UUCP (Kevin A. Geiselman) (05/18/88)

Readers,

	I'm finally going to do it!!  After 4 years of suffering with a
300 bps modem that is not compatable with anything else I am going to get
a new one.
	However, I've been away from the 'computer products' market (not
having any money makes window shopping a waste of time) and I really don't
know just what to get.  I would like a few suggestions to fill these
criteria...

1200 b.p.s.
HAYES compatable
Auto pulse and touch tone dialing
functional with a //e upgraded to a //c
reliable, works with alot of different software, and inexpensive

	One suggestion I've received is the Avatex 1200e from Megatronics
in Utah (address unknown) for $85.
	I've seen and add for the Capetronic QT-1200 from Computer Direct
for $79.95 + shipping.  Does anyone know about this??
	Computer Direct also has the Supra Modem 2400 for $159.95 + shipping.
Are there any real good reasons to double the speed at double the expense??

	E-mail or post your suggestions, reasons, or warnings, along with
ordering information, I've got my VISA card all ready.

	And also, if anyone knows what I can do with my old Novation
Apple-Cat 300 bps modem let me know.

Kevin A. Geiselman (aka Kordite sutai-Restarc, IKEF)

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (05/19/88)

You might as well make the jump to 2400 baud now, rather than moving from
where you are into the 1970s. A 2400 baud modem makes a very noticeable over

I recently bought an AVATEX 2400 baud (I think from Lyco) for <$200. It has
a 2 year warantee, is Hayes compatible, lights and buttons for those who
like that sort of thing, and has been very reliable.

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca    |
  |  INTERNET:halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  BITNET:D57J@CORNELLA  D57J@CRNLVAX5|
  |  UUCP:{vax135,rochester,decvax}!cornell!batcomputer!halp                  |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601      |

GZT.EWW@OZ.AI.MIT.EDU (Wes Williams) (05/19/88)

Another (previously suggested) modem is the "Supra" from Supra Corp. in
Oregon. Available mail order @ no discount for $179 and from mail order houses
@ $149 .

Gee, I wonder how distributors can sell for less than the factory?

-------

scott@geowhiz.UUCP (Scott Kempf) (05/19/88)

In article <9806@cisunx.UUCP> kagst@cisunx.UUCP (Kevin A. Geiselman) writes:
[a kind requist for help with his next purchase of a modem: Deleted]
>functional with a //e upgraded to a //c

Wow.  No such thing right?  Good.

>Kevin A. Geiselman (aka Kordite sutai-Restarc, IKEF)

				Scott
Scott Kempf			  Make eye contact.  Don't stare at the ground.
	      You can keep you eyes on a screen, so look at people you talk to.
MAIL:   1302 Rutledge St., Madison, WI  53703    PHONE:  (608) 255-6205  (home)
UUCP:   {seismo, topaz, harvard, ihnp4}!uwvax!geowhiz!scott
ARPA:   geowhiz!scott@spool.cs.wisc.edu          PHONE:  (608) 262-6154  (work)
BITNET: scott%geowhiz.uucp%spool.cs.wisc.edu@wiscvm.bitnet

jimo@rosevax.Rosemount.COM (The Eternal Optimist @ the Infernal Machine) (05/20/88)

In article <9806@cisunx.UUCP>, kagst@cisunx.UUCP (Kevin A. Geiselman) writes:
{
{ Readers,
{
[...]

saw a BYTE BINGO CARD advertise a 2400 for $149 (external, $139
internal).
Central Computer Products
800-533-8049
--
Nothing is impossible until it is not.
TWINS '88 - The Rally Continues !!!

news@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu (Six o'clock News) (05/20/88)

From: akuo@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Augie Kuo)

The Apple-Cat has a serial port on that, so you can hook your new 1200 baud
modem to that and save $$$ and a slot.  Cool 300 baud modem eh?
I have a set up just like this, but I don't use it much since I have a 2400
baud modem now.  If anyone's interested, I'd be willing to sell it for $130
(Apple-Cat 300 and a 1200 Hayes compatible).

ARPA: akuo@cory.berkeley.edu
UUCP: {ihnp4!crash, hplabs!hp-sdd!crash}!gryphon!pnet02!akuo
INET: akuo@pnet02.CTS.COM

mturner@convexc.UUCP (05/20/88)

Software House in Dallas is advertising a 300/1200/2400 baud external,
hayes compatiable, modem with a five year warrenty for $145.00.
The modem is made by packard bell.
I know someone with the modem and they are very happy.
Their phone number is (214)484-8500.

---Mike Turner {uucp:ihnp4!convex!mturner}

"imagination is more important than knowledge"--A. Einstein

BERK@DUVM.BITNET (Dave Berkowitz) (05/23/88)

I am currently using a U.S. Robotics Sportster modem (and have been for
more than a year).  I have found no problems, it has been lugged around,
stepped on, dropped, and otherwise abused and still works.  It uses the
"AT" command set, works with pulse or tone, has other features that I
don't need/use, and it lists for under $150 (I have seen it in A+ mail
order house ad for .... I think ... $129).  The model I have is 1200
BPS although I have seen recent ads for a 2400 BPS model.

It is small in size about 1 x 4 x 6 and the power supply is about 2 1/2 inches
cubed.

.... And I don't get a dime from any sale !!!!
... And I don't get a dime from any sale !!!!
Acknowledge-To: <BERK@DUVM>

jib@prism.tmc.com (05/26/88)

RE: Request for modem suggestions

If you don't need the modem for a month or so...

I would suggest waiting for the Applied Engineering Datalink 2400.

I saw it at Applefest, and it is supposed to begin shipping in June.

Features (from AE data sheet):

Internal modem (so you don't need a super serial card for your IIe)
Non-volitile memory for modem configuration
Full Hayes AT compatibility
Compatible w/ Point-to-point, ASCII Express, AccessII
Also includes AE's DataTerm and Online 64 software
Super serial card front end (claims full compatibility)
Adaptive equalization and descrambling {???}
Hardware configuration for DSR and DCD
Works with AE PC transporter

List price $239

The current Datalink 1200 modem will be reduced in price to a list of $179.

Jim Block  {cca, ihnp4!inmet, mit-eddie, wjh12, datacube} !mirror!prism!jib

Matthew Bender Inc, 11 Penn Plaza, NY, NY 10001 (212) 216-8018

>Internal modem (so you don't need a super serial card for your IIe)

If replacement for an existing external modem is contemplated, a serial
card already is in place, and of course, //c and IIgs doesn't need an SSC.

>Non-volitile memory for modem configuration
>Full Hayes AT compatibility
>Compatible w/ Point-to-point, ASCII Express, AccessII
>Also includes AE's DataTerm and Online 64 software
>Super serial card front end (claims full compatibility)

Does it support interrupts (otherwise it won't be compatible with Kermit,
TIC, or Z-Link)?

>Adaptive equalization and descrambling {???}

There are several 2400 baud error protocols (which MUST be supported by BOTH
ends of the transmission to work).  The most popular seems to be Microcom's
MNP (UConn's 2400 are MNP).  Is that what's meant (somehow I doubt it)?

>Hardware configuration for DSR and DCD
>Works with AE PC transporter
>
>List price $239

Seriously over-priced unless it supports MNP.  There are several reliable
2400 baud externals available for under $180 (someone posted information
about one for only $145 a day or two ago), and a SSC clone is not very
expensive ($60 or less).  One shortcoming of an internal modem, is it ONLY
works in an Apple 2 (if you decide there's a Mac <or *gasp* something else>
in your future, you'll be out of luck.

>The current Datalink 1200 modem will be reduced in price to a list of $179.

That's not a bargain.  Externals are only $80.

Disclaimer: The "look and feel" of this message is exclusively MINE!

ARPA:   sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu       Murphy A. Sewall
BITNET: SEWALL@UCONNVM                          School of Business Admin.
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL  University of Connecticut