[comp.sys.apple] TML flakiness--solution?

>Date:         Thu, 26 May 88 16:47:14 GMT
>Sender:       INFO-APP Info-Apple List <INFO-APP@NDSUVM1>
>From:         David Tribby
>              <hpda!hpcupt1!hpcuhb!hpindda!tribby@ucbvax.berkeley.edu>
>Subject:      TML Pascal Application Crashes
>
>I use TML Pascal running under APW to write programs for the IIGS. For
>months, I have noticed an intermittent problem that causes the entire
>system to crash when I select the "About..." item on the menu.

I strongly suspect that you modelled your "ToolStartup" code after the
code in some of TML's demos--if so, the flakiness is being causes by the
reversed parameters to LEStartUp.  The two parameters are a Memory ID
and a direct page pointer, so reversing them has very nasty effects...
SOMETIMES.  Often, the memory ID, treated accidentally as a direct-page
address, makes Line Edit's direct page overlap the direct page of another
toolset.  Since dialogs and alerts use LineEdit functions, this is consistent
with your problem (your About is a dialog or alert; SetDefButton affects
the crash, or seems to).

TML is aware of the problem--I told them a fair number of months ago.  I
suspect that their code will be correct when (if?) version 1.5 gets here.

The correct parameters for LEStartUp are MemoryID followed by DirectPage.

>Dave Tribby
>                                   - - - - -
>        ARPA: tribby%hpda@hplabs.HP.COM   UUCP: hplabs!hpda!tribby

--David A. Lyons  a.k.a.  DAL Systems