[comp.sys.apple] ADB cable

FFDDO@ALASKA.BITNET (David Oberhart) (06/02/88)

Does anyone know if there is a longer
keyboard cable availible for the IIGS?
My dealer says there is no such thing, and wants to know
how far away from my machine I want to get...
Anyway, has anyone heard or seen of this product?
Thanks in advance,
David Oberhart
<FFDDO@Alaska>
CIS 72047,1004

kamath@reed.UUCP (06/05/88)

In article <8806011543.aa16534@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> FFDDO%ALASKA.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:

>Does anyone know if there is a longer keyboard cable availible for the IIGS?
>My dealer says there is no such thing, and wants to know how far away from
>my machine I want to get...  Anyway, has anyone heard or seen of this
>product?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>David Oberhart

Failing everything else (or not, depending on price and your experience as a
person who might or might not go for this kinda thing. . .), just buy a
spare cable, got to your local wire seller and get some ten conductor (you
probably won't find 8, though that's what you really need) wire, with sheild
preferable, and hack the spare cable.  The wires inside are all color coded,
so you just connect black to black, etc, for all the wires.  Also, I'm pretty
sure the ADB cable is sheilded, so you can connect that as well.  Viola, one
227ft cable that probably *might* work (A definate maybe.).  Actually, i'd
be willing to bet you could get upwards of 20 ft. easy. But then, I never
tried it.

Sean Kamath
--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET: reed!kamath@PSUVAX1.BITNET

oliver@thelink.UUCP (Joel Sumner) (06/07/88)

I just got the new computerland catalog a few days ago (did you know they charge $38.00 for 10

3M 3.5" DSDD disks!!!!).. Anyway, it had a stand for a Mac II that could turn
the CPU sideways and so it needed a longer ADB cable... Thus they sold an
extension cable for the ADB port (and one for the RGB monitor too)... Now I
know that it is probably quite overpriced there but if you can find the brand,
you may be able to find it mail order for quite a bit less.

On another unrelated topic, is it POSSIBLE to multi-task the IIgs (no, I don't
mean feasible, the speed would limit the machine incredibly) but is it possible?
With say, 2 ProDos 16 Text applications (without the fancy windows that take oh
so much time to redraw)... I am just curious...Is the IIgs toolbox powerful
enough to support something like that?

oliver@thelink.UUCP
Joel Sumner