[comp.sys.apple] Apple Certification is it for me?

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (06/08/88)

In article <8806040936.AA22399@crash.cts.com> vernonw@nosc.mil writes:
>I'm interested mostly in writing utilities and simple but useful programs for
>the Apple II, but probably won't be writing anything so amazing that I'd be
>selling it just yet, as I'm fairly new to assembly language.
>Are there any certified developers out there (I'm certain there are!) What do
>you advise for a relatively new AL programmer?

>Vernon Williams                     UUCP: crash!vernonw@pro-carolina.cts.com

I'm not a certified developer.

If you want to learn Assembly, *really* want to, go buy an assembler like
merlin pro, orca/m or the s-c assembler, and get yourself a disassembler
(mrelin pro comes with sourceror, a company called Rak-Ware makes one called
Disassem 2e (or somesuch), subscribe to Nibble and Apple Assembly Line, and
then start ripping apart other people programs.  Get the source to
*everything*, and when you can't get the source (or even if you can) rip it
apart with the disassembler.  IT may seem rahter fruitless, but A) you can
have a lot of fun, B) You get to modify things after you are done, and C)
(most important) you learn how other peopl *Really do Code!* as opposed to
how books like to tell you to.  Also, go to used book stores (preferably
*large* stores with tech sections) and get a bunch of old Apple specific
"learning assembly" books.  Pour over them.

Finally, after you have looked at ton'o'ware, code a program.  I don't mean
you shouldn't write *anything* while you learn, certainly not.  But wait to
create the "Incredible Arcade Game of the Eon" till after you know about bit
shifting, multiplying and dividing, branch operations, etc.  Some folk (most
notably Don Lancaster) seriously frown on people trying to learn assembly
without trying straight 6502 code.  In some ways it's very true.  Your first
programs (perhaps you already have the books, software, etc, but ignore them
for a moment) should be with the miniassembler.  If you don't have it in
ROM, get the DOS 3.3 system master, boot up Integer Basic (just type
INT),CALL -151, F666G.  Viola.

I'm sorry this is so long, but It's a favourite subject of mine.  I've spend
close to five years just tearing other people's programs apart (like
AppleWriter and HRCG), and only recently (in the last year) started writing
my own.  This is a problem, esp. since finals (like now) really get in the
way, but. . .

Also, never be afraid to ask the net for help!  No matter how stupid the
question might seem.  At the very least, e-mail a question to those of us
who sound like guru's.  I try to answer everything I get, though sometimes
I'm really slow (About all those GIF picts I was sending out, after
thursday, NO MORE FINALS!  Look for them this weekend!).

Sean Kamath
--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET: reed!kamath@PSUVAX1.BITNET