[comp.sys.apple] make your own ADB cables

>Date:         Wed, 1 Jun 88 08:42:22 -0900
>From:         David Oberhart <FFDDO%ALASKA.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu>

>Does anyone know if there is a longer
>keyboard cable availible for the IIGS?
>[...]
>Anyway, has anyone heard or seen of this product?

Well, I don't know of anybody who *sells* long ones, but they certainly
exist!  I have a 30-foot cable running across my room.  I bought a 3-foot
or so cable from a local dealer, chopped it in half, and spliced in a lot
of 4-conductor telephone wire (actually only 3 conductors are used by ADB).

It works great.

Someone told me that Jameco Electronics sells both male and female connectors,
so you should be able to save some money by getting connectors from them
instead of shelling out $12.95 for a very short ADB cable.  I intend to get
some female ADB connectors and make a Y-adapter so I don't have to plug my
mouse into the other side of the keyboard if I don't want to (makes it hard
to put the keyboard on my lap).
>Thanks in advance,
>David Oberhart
><FFDDO@Alaska>
>CIS 72047,1004

--David A. Lyons  a.k.a.  DAL Systems
  PO Box 287 | North Liberty, IA 52317
  BITNET: AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS
  CompuServe: 72177,3233
  GEnie mail: D.LYONS2

mccann@CS.WISC.EDU ("Lester I. McCann") (06/08/88)

The first time I saw the GS's ADB set-up (computer ---> keyboard ---> mouse),
I was certain some enterprising company would market a gizmo to allow you to
put the mouse on the other side of the keyboard, to allow people to put the
keyboard in their laps.  Still haven't seen such a creature; anyone heard of
one?

Lester McCann
mccann@cs.wisc.edu

oliver@thelink.UUCP (Joel Sumner) (06/12/88)

In article <8806081643.AA00568@primost.cs.wisc.edu>, mccann@CS.WISC.EDU ("Lester I. McCann") writes:
> The first time I saw the GS's ADB set-up (computer ---> keyboard ---> mouse),
> I was certain some enterprising company would market a gizmo to allow you to
> put the mouse on the other side of the keyboard, to allow people to put the
> keyboard in their laps.  Still haven't seen such a creature; anyone heard of
> one?
>
> Lester McCann
> mccann@cs.wisc.edu

Can't you just route the ADB cable around the back of the machine and hook it
on the other side of the keyboard?  I am left handed and I do this so I can use
the mouse with my left hand.. Granted, it makes the cable a little shorter but
I can still use it in my lap.. Take heart though, for the super low price of
$39.95 you can own an extra long ADB cable from Computerland (yea.....)

oliver@thelink.UUCP (joel Sumner)

t-mccann@puff.cs.wisc.edu (L. I. McCann) (06/13/88)

In article <143@thelink.UUCP>, oliver@thelink.UUCP (Joel Sumner) writes:
> In article <8806081643.AA00568@primost.cs.wisc.edu>, mccann@CS.WISC.EDU ("Lester I. McCann") writes:
> > The first time I saw the GS's ADB set-up (computer ---> keyboard ---> mouse),
> > I was certain some enterprising company would market a gizmo to allow you to
> > put the mouse on the other side of the keyboard, to allow people to put the
> > keyboard in their laps.  Still haven't seen such a creature; anyone heard of
> > one?
>
> Can't you just route the ADB cable around the back of the machine and hook it
> on the other side of the keyboard?  I am left handed and I do this so I can use
> the mouse with my left hand..

I was thinking of a small box that would allow you to attach the keyboard
at the end of the cable chain, instead of in the middle.  Something like
this:  GS ----- Mouse ----- Keyboard.  With the current setup, moving the
keyboard to your lap often causes the mouse to take a brief plummet to the
floor.  If this little box could be anchored to the machine (or a desktop,
or whatever), moving the keyboard would have no effect on the mouse.

Lester McCann
University of Wisconsin CS Dept.
mccann@cs.wisc.edu

taro@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Taro Nobusawa) (06/14/88)

In article <1727@puff.cs.wisc.edu> t-mccann@puff.cs.wisc.edu (L. I. McCann) writes:
>In article <143@thelink.UUCP>, oliver@thelink.UUCP (Joel Sumner) writes:
>> In article <8806081643.AA00568@primost.cs.wisc.edu>, mccann@CS.WISC.EDU ("Lester I. McCann") writes:
>>
>> Can't you just route the ADB cable around the back of the machine and hook it
>> on the other side of the keyboard?  I am left handed and I do this so I can use
>> the mouse with my left hand..

>I was thinking of a small box that would allow you to attach the keyboard
>at the end of the cable chain, instead of in the middle.  Something like
>this:  GS ----- Mouse ----- Keyboard.  With the current setup, moving the
>keyboard to your lap often causes the mouse to take a brief plummet to the
>floor.  If this little box could be anchored to the machine (or a desktop,
>or whatever), moving the keyboard would have no effect on the mouse.

Kinda how the Mac SE ADB is setup, huh.  If you can find the female ADB
connectors
it should be pretty straighfoward, it is a bus so I think you could probably
just pass it straight through and tap off the buss.

GS port>  1--------+--------1 >keybr

                   1
                 mouse    and so on for the other lines
--
"Mad as a hen wetter...goodbye and good day.   THPPT" -Opus
Taro Nobusawa  		taro@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

tgm@xroads.UUCP (Sloan Tash) (06/14/88)

The IIgs mouse can be put on either side of the keyboard. Just plug the
keyboard -> computer cable on the other side.

  I would add something to the IIgs+ flame, but I agree with the first one to
disagree (the 194 linee message..). I don't think that increased power is a
bonus, although I do think more people should live by "Hacker Ethics" (If you
haven't read the book Hackers by Stephen Levy, do..) and get down inside
their machine, learn to program, etc. But I don't comdemn anyone for not
knowing assembly..

tgm
--
\  /  C r o s s r o a d s  C o m m u n i c a t i o n s
 \/   (602) 971-2240