[comp.sys.apple] PRO-APP Drives

forde@EGLIN-VAX.ARPA ("MAJ ERIC S. FORD") (06/12/88)

A friend of mine from the local Apple Club has a PRO-APP 20 had drive which
recently began making strange noises (described as whining) and may be on
the verge of dying.  It seems that the manufacturer/source of these drives
has gone the way of the dinosaur so I'm looking for anyone who has info on
who might be doing repair work on these systems.  Any thoughts?

Eric S. Ford
------

tsouth@pro-pac.cts.COM (Todd South) (06/14/88)

In Article:  <8806131147.aa22258@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA>

"MAJ ERIC S. FORD" <pnet01!crash!eglin-vax.arpa!forde> writes:

> A friend of mine from the local Apple Club has a PRO-APP 20 had drive which
> recently began making strange noises (described as whining) and may be on
> the verge of dying.  It seems that the manufacturer/source of these drives
> has gone the way of the dinosaur so I'm looking for anyone who has info on
> who might be doing repair work on these systems.  Any thoughts?
>
> Eric S. Ford
> ------

Eric,

        I once had that problem with my Sider ][.  Turned out that the
Sider had a graphite dust collector with too much build up on it.  All one
had to do was clean it and the problem was solved.  Although the Pro-App is
not a Sider, it may have something similar to this.  If not, I'd put money
on the bearing, and if that is it, I doubt they can be replaced unless the
platter installed is of a generic type, like the CMS platters are.

Todd South

--
UUCP: {nosc, ihnp4, cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun!ihnp4}
                           ...!crash!pnet01!pro-simasd!pro-pac!tsouth

whitney@think.COM (David Whitney) (06/15/88)

In article <8806131147.aa22258@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> "MAJ ERIC S. FORD" <forde@eglin-vax.arpa> writes:

>A friend of mine from the local Apple Club has a PRO-APP 20 had drive which
>recently began making strange noises (described as whining) and may be on
>the verge of dying.  It seems that the manufacturer/source of these drives
>has gone the way of the dinosaur so I'm looking for anyone who has info on
>who might be doing repair work on these systems.  Any thoughts?

Gosh, I hadn't even noticed the lack of ads in A+...
I have a Proapp 20S drive (SCSI) and I hope the company still exists. I
could have sworn I saw an ad for 'em in *some* magazine recently...

David Whitney, MIT '90                     Still learning about my Apple //GS
{the known universe}!ihnp4!think!whitney   and all of its secrets. Any and all
whitney@think.com                          technical info appreciated.
DISCLAIMER: If they only knew what I was doing and saying here...